Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

mole talk

(22 Posts)
choclab Thu 11-Aug-11 19:03:07

Please can you help , i suffer with HA , having an anx about a mole i have

I go to skin clinic every 6 months for checks peice of mind (they say i could go yearly) but i like to check 6 monthly .

i have a fare few freckles and moles , one has only got my attention as , was in shower and scratched it i think by accident , it bleed a tiny , tiny bit and i could later see the scratch line , but not have gone into self checking bla bla ..
today it seems fine not red or anything and not bleeding seems its healed , but i cant stop looking ,

its a raised mole skin type colour with a little dash of brown freckling on it ,feels bit rough though hmm

mine does look same each side , no ragged edges , not black , or sore or itchy ,
i googled and it has frightened me so much ..sad i have many different coloured moles some speckly ,
at the skin clinic i go they take pictures to compare each time i go and then i see a dermatologist who looks at them all again .

sorry s long justin a twizz ...i guess the answer is to go back to clinic , im not due till october....but if i cant calm down i wil have to ...

thanks for listening anyway ...

jenniec79 Thu 11-Aug-11 19:08:18

If you're worried it's worth it being checked.

Your dermatologist/GP will have seen plenty of more normal moles that day, let alone ever!

The non-uniform colour might be a worry, do you think it's changed? It it round in shape or a bit irregular? Roughness not a hard sign of trouble. Where is it (back more likely to be trouble than arms - but probably because arm moles are noticed earlier)

choclab Thu 11-Aug-11 19:12:37

round in shape , had it years , its on arm right where bra strap sits ,

choclab Thu 11-Aug-11 19:21:40

its round no jagged edges , no itchy ,not red , not sore or black or dark brown ,
always been there ,well for long time , i havent noticed a change as such , hmmjust gone into anxiety cos it bleed a tiny bit ...after i think i scratched it in shower yesterday , as i saw scratch mark on my arm to and that flows in line with my mole if you follow me ....
but as i said nothing since and all looks fine now , just going over drive as has little specks of brown colour on it ....sad

choclab Thu 11-Aug-11 20:13:20

bump

choclab Thu 11-Aug-11 20:45:12

sad

choclab Thu 11-Aug-11 21:33:55

sad

m0nkeynuts Thu 11-Aug-11 21:44:56

If you're at all concerned then you should get it checked - for peace of mind, if nothing else.

But it's most likely nothing to worry about. I had a mole on my foot that was bleeding, got it checked out and it was just being irritated by my shoe. Totally normal.

If you're inclined to get panicky about moles (like I do!) then you'd be wise to start monitoring them yourself. If you take your own photos and measurements, then you won't ever find yourself in a situation where you can't remember if a certain mole has always had different shades of colour in it, has always been a particular size/shape etc. Saves a lot of unnecessary worry!

It's great that you get them checked properly every 6 months though!

smile

choclab Thu 11-Aug-11 22:09:55

thank you for reply , i think i will try get appt ....had last one in april , i am a worrier its the only thing i can do ..

thanks for listening

choclab Fri 12-Aug-11 08:50:22

bump

Davida Fri 12-Aug-11 09:55:12

have they done a map of your moles, if so they will know if it's changed. Stop worrying till the next check up, it doesn't sound dodgy x

choclab Fri 12-Aug-11 10:42:22

thanks , sorry , have had the mole mapping i will make an appt for when kids back to school beginning sept , unless anything changes drastically within that time hmm
is fine today , again , no redness , rings , itch , bleeding , etc , etc ...
iv just got it stuck in my head after googling .....

plus my anxiety went through the roof .......trying to put in perspective ...

if was really bad , wouldnt heal etc would have got worse i guess ....

one of the people at clinic also said , you would know if was dodgy as usually stand out from the rest ....

this doesnt look grouse or stuf like that ...

god im going on again ...sorry ...

Marne Fri 12-Aug-11 10:52:34

Just pop into your GP, my GP has a special thing that he can check moles with, i went a few weeks ago to get 2 checked, i had one of them remoced last week and sent off for testing (although GP said it was fine but they check them anyway), i have one on my arm that itches a lot, GP checked it and said it was fine (just dry skin on it causing the itching).

Try and stay calm (i know its hard, i suffer from anxiety too) sad.

choclab Fri 12-Aug-11 11:02:37

oh god u tink i should ?

Marne Fri 12-Aug-11 11:10:06

I'm sure its fine choc, but it would stop you worrying smile and i'm sure the GP wont mind. Are you getting any help for the anxiety? maybe you can talk to your GP about it, i did and he was very helpful. Also if there are any large moles that you are really worried about you can ask if they can be removed, its very easy to get done.

choclab Fri 12-Aug-11 12:11:33

cant get appt now ....sad nothing till next week , will ring clinic to see if i can talk with someone and explain my anx ...maybe they can put mind at rest ...

choclab Fri 12-Aug-11 12:17:44

no luck there either ....someone calm me down please ....sad

choclab Fri 12-Aug-11 12:18:20

i mean i called and no one can talk to me on phone ...have to make appt ...

Davida Fri 12-Aug-11 13:00:16

A week won't make a hap'orth of difference, you'll be alright to leave it a week. Honestly. I know a LOT about these things.

Are you getting any help with the HA? I think that's the bigger problem pet x

choclab Fri 12-Aug-11 13:10:40

thanks , i will make appt with clinic in sept when kids back , thats 3 weeks , UNLESS things change ...

iv kind of calmed down a bit ...i think hmm

rational side saying , look went april all was fine ,
i go every 4/6 months for checks(for my own peace of mind ) ,so far all been fine ,

i did scratch it , so thats why it bleed a tiny bit ,
its not sore , itchy , red, etc ...looks calm and ok now ,

the otheres i have were checked 4 months ago if i go back in 3 weeks can see if any changes to them to ...

and if have changed , i court early so hopefully would be ok ....hmm

yes anx , bad , goes in waves .....i get a trigger , like reading something or on TV , then im off self checking ....
iv been ok for a while ......
tried self help things mainly ,

thanks for listening ....appreciate it

mumof3teens Fri 12-Aug-11 13:19:38

Please don't worry choclab. You scratched your mole and it bled, which it would do and is now fine. Put it out of your mind until October or whenever your 6 monthly check is. I know how these things take over your thoughts completely, but you are doing exactly what you should be doing by having the 6 monthly checks. Now forget about it and do something you enjoy smile

choclab Fri 12-Aug-11 14:20:35

Thanks , mumof3, yes your right , can do no more ,
we are going out all day tomorrow as a family for day out so that will do me good and will make appt for beginning sept , a month sooner than due .

unless as i said anything drastic changes ....then sooner ..

anx ..grrrrrrr

thanks again appreciate people listening and advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now