Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone have a Mirena coil?

(14 Posts)
Maria101 Thu 11-Aug-11 13:21:45

After having my baby last summer I went back on the Pill. However, it's caused a cervical erosion (I had this once before) and my GP has advised I come off it because the hormones obviously don't agree with me. Last time I came off the Pill I got pregnant (basically we didn't use a condom). However, I don't want to get pregnant again for a while (we're about to move house) so I need something reliable. My GP says the Mirena coil is great. But a friend has just told me it can cause weight gain / lack of sex drive. Does it?

mistlethrush Thu 11-Aug-11 13:24:44

I've had one for 2.5 months - and its not caused either for me. However, I know that whilst it suits a large proportion of people that try it, a small proportion do have issues - I got mine via a consultant and he took my concerns seriously - don't let your Dr say that they don't have the potential to cause side effects. However, if you try it, the chances are that you'll be one of the ones that it suits rather than one of the ones with side effects....

Butyoucant Thu 11-Aug-11 13:47:18

I'm having mine taken out on the 23rd and a copper one put in.
In the 6 months it has been in I have put on 3 stone (and that is whilst being on slimfast / slimming world) my skin has erupted and my hair needs to be washed every day. The doctor I saw last week recommended the copper one as it has no hormones in it as it would seem that is what is giving me the side effects.
I know some people get along fine with it but that is just my experience.

mouthwash7 Thu 11-Aug-11 14:12:44

There are some old threads on this if you do a search. I didn't have a good experience with mine - weight gain and depression. It also went wandering and after 10 medical appointments (some at hospitals 30 miles away) and various people having a look for it, they finally removed it under general anaesthetic - which involved a week off work sick for me and a day off for my dh. I've heard some get on with it well though.

EvilTwins Thu 11-Aug-11 14:19:34

I have one - had it put in about 2 years ago. Other than the fact that having it put in was really uncomfortable (but I was told that this is because my cervix has never dilated - I had my twins by ELCS) it has been brilliant. I haven't had a period for over 18 months, which has got rid of the crippling period pains I've had since I was a teenager. I haven't experienced any adverse reactions at all - no weight gain (other than the sort caused by too much red wine and chocolate) or other side effects. I would absolutely recommend it.

CMOTdibbler Thu 11-Aug-11 15:29:19

I had one from 2000-2004 (had it removed to ttc), from 2006 till now, and am having it replaced on the 26th with another. No problems at all in all that time

Verahaspurpletwuntypants Thu 11-Aug-11 18:35:33

Not had any problems with mine, and had it about 8mths. No weight gain from it.
I had the injections years ago and put on a lot of weight with them.

Zumbawumba Fri 12-Aug-11 21:29:03

If you experience side-effects please don't be persuaded to persevere with it. They are expensive, and I had daily bleeding for about 10 months before insisting it was removed - along with most all of the serious side-effect listed on the info leaflet.
I put absolutely no thought into the decision however, and was seduced by the thought of no periods.

INeedALieIn Fri 12-Aug-11 23:02:22

Had mine for 12 months and love it. No side effects, and only light periods.

I previously had the implant. This was removed after continuous periods for about 6 months.

What suits one doesn't always suit another.

yangste Tue 16-Aug-11 18:26:05

I've had a Mirena for 10 years and I think they are fantastic. No side effects, no periods and peace of mind. I would highly recommend trying it. You can always have it removed if you don't like it.

badmove Thu 18-Aug-11 08:09:02

I lost weight and I ve had one for a year.. it's good..no problems really

YellowDinosaur Thu 18-Aug-11 09:37:58

I haven't had any problems with mine either. Either very light occasional periods. Slight weight gain (but like eviltwins it would be deluding myself to blame the mirena for this! grin) but no other problems. It did hurt going in but that was brief so not concerned. Threads disappeared early on though and had a scan to make sure it was still there. So I don't know how difficult it will be to get it out but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it (next year!)

bacon Thu 18-Aug-11 13:35:15

Big fan here to! I was hopeless with the pill. If you havent had any problems with the pill then the coil will work for you, sorry but the weight thing is mostly a myth (apart from the odd few of course), The coil contains the same chemicals as the pill as you shouldnt notice any difference.

I love it, for the reasons of forgetting the pill, less periods, light periods, and its 100% reliable.

The fitting was ok, the doc was brilliant, slight discomfort but quick (less painful than a sweep) I had 2 emcs too so no problems at all. Unfortunately it does take a few weeks to a few months to calm down, at first you can get the cramps and back ache but after 3 months I completely forgot about it. Mr Dr loves it, its the best form of contraception in her opinion. Most bad reports are due to them not being fitted correctly.

clucky80 Thu 18-Aug-11 15:13:52

Another fan here! I had mine in for 3 and a half years because of v heavy periods and non stop bleeding with depo injection and I was also at the time about to be listed for an organ transplant so didn't want to get pregnant! I had no problems with it and it stopped my periods straight away (yippee!), had it taken out end of December 2009, didn't have a period in January as prolactin was high from medication, had period end of February and pregnant by end of March so everything returned to normal quickly. I have just had another one put in and it was much less uncomfortable, I had an emergancy cs but I did dilate 2cm and the dr said any dilation would help. I'm still bleeding lightly now but dr said thats normal - I am just hoping it stops my periods again. After I had my son I became a dragon each month with pmt too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now