Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Question re: children"s teeth

(13 Posts)
babycham42 Thu 11-Aug-11 11:01:18

I have been told that:
1.the back teeth in a childs mouth are not milk teeth but adult teeth
2.For 3 milk teeth to have come out by nearly 7 years is a bit too soon for them to be being lost.

Didn"t know this confused

But it must be right, yes?

LIZS Thu 11-Aug-11 11:05:23

The "6 year" molars are permanent teeth. Many chidlren lose ther first teeth between 5 and 7 so 3 by 7 isn't necessarily unusual.

AKMD Thu 11-Aug-11 11:05:46

That sounds really weird to me.

1. 17mo DS's back teeth are nowhere near as big as mine - if they were adult teeth he wouldn't have any room for his front teeth! Maybe whoever told you this meant wisdom teeth?

2. Doubt it. Mine started coming out when I was 5 and I'm sure I lost more than 1 a year!

Where is this advice coming from? If it's a dentist, you might want to find a new one.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Thu 11-Aug-11 11:13:37

1. Yes the 3rd molars which grow around 6 year old are permanent adult teeth.
2. No, DD1 had lost 3 teeth already at 6.5, she is about average (some peers have lost a bit more some none)

babycham42 Thu 11-Aug-11 11:14:56

This is what has got me worried. It is from a dentist. I know that my DD"s back teeth haven"t come out therefore according to the dentist these first teeth are her adult teeth. And judging by friends at school I didn"t think 3 was many at all. In fact I thought she was a bit late. I have been told before that she is unfortunate and has soft enamel therefore unfortunately for her she has a few fillings.Previously I"ve also been told her teeth are beautifully clean by the dentist.But I was shocked to hear this today from a different dentist and to be told she needs to take much better care of her teeth.I"m very confused!

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Thu 11-Aug-11 11:19:54

Run away!
shock that a dentist doesn't know the 1st 2 molars are milk teeth

babycham42 Thu 11-Aug-11 11:23:04

I know I"m being a little slow to catch on but I am just so gobsmacked .Thank you for the helpful comments. So will all the teeth she has now fall out and be replaced by adult teeth?

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Thu 11-Aug-11 11:26:48

If she has only 20 teeth, yes they will all fall out (except the 3 already fallen).

DD1 has 22 at the moment so, 2 adult front teeth, 2 adult back molar, one hole and 17 milk teeth to go.

babycham42 Thu 11-Aug-11 11:31:37

Thank you so much LeMous .You have really put my mind at rest there. Seems the dentist seen won"t be getting a return visit!

Grumpystiltskin Thu 11-Aug-11 18:04:49

To get the first adult molars, teeth aren't lost though. The first permanent (adult) molars just erupt behing the last deciduous (baby) molar.
These teeth often go unnoticed (and unbrushed) as they don't necessitate a visit from the toothfairy, this is why they are very commonly decayed by the time a child is a teenager.

Elibean Thu 11-Aug-11 19:18:45

And dd, who is 7, has lost 8 teeth - and is probably about average in her class!

Her BF lost her first tooth aged 4: its partly genetic (the age at which they start to fall and be replaced by adult teeth). I agree: run!

kittensliveupstairs Fri 12-Aug-11 06:55:28

DD is 10.3 and has lost 4 teeth naturally. four were extracted on the advice of the orthodontist.
Hers seem set in stone.

lazydog Fri 12-Aug-11 07:11:25

"So will all the teeth she has now fall out and be replaced by adult teeth?"

No. At nearly 7 it is v.unlikely that she won't already have her first 4 permanent molars. They come up behind the milk teeth, without any of the "baby" molars having to have fallen out to accommodate them.

The comment about having lost 3 teeth by age (almost) 7 being unusual is certainly odd though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now