Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Freckle? Under fingernail?

(8 Posts)
LargeGlassofRed Wed 10-Aug-11 23:11:15

Probably nothing, but I've noticed a small freckle on one of my fingernails it's only been there about a month, anyone ever had anything similar?

LargeGlassofRed Wed 10-Aug-11 23:26:50

Also have horizonal ridges on a few nails which have Be there a couple of months..

KilledBill Thu 11-Aug-11 00:21:45

Ridges on fingernails are usually just dehydration - a good hand moisturiser will help this, plus if you want to paint your nails you can get "ridge filler" polishes that make it look like you have a smooth nail bed.

The freckle on the other hand, may need checking out. Is it underneath the nail, in the nail bed? It is unlikely, but there is a rarer form of cancer that appears like this, a type of skin cancer, and I believe it is more common in black or asian people. It may well just be a mark in the nail plate or a bruise though.

CMOTdibbler Thu 11-Aug-11 08:08:15

I get tiny bleeds under my nails, and they looks like freckles - it should slowly grow out with the nail

LargeGlassofRed Thu 11-Aug-11 19:25:12

Thanks for the replys, yes the freckle is under the nail I think or in it, not on the surface, will keep an eye on it.

suzikettles Thu 11-Aug-11 19:29:02

I'd get it checked out by a doctor just to be sure tbh.

Davida Thu 11-Aug-11 19:33:29

I'd say the same. Keep an eye on it, if it grows out it'll be a blood blister type thing, if it stays put then have it seen sooner rather than later.

And if it starts growing then don't waste any time at all! Good luck, hope it's just a small injury.

LargeGlassofRed Thu 11-Aug-11 20:59:11

Thanks will keep a close eye on it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now