Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have really really bad toothache

(16 Posts)
KatyMac Wed 10-Aug-11 22:18:21

I am getting some amoxy tomorrow

I am taking co-codamol

Please feel sorry for me - I am miserable

startail Wed 10-Aug-11 22:27:45

No practical advice, but here's hoping the painkillers act quickly, hugs.

girlylala0807 Wed 10-Aug-11 22:30:26

Either hot water bottle on your cheek or ice cubes in your mouth.

I had toothace for years because of fear of the dentist!

youarekidding Wed 10-Aug-11 22:31:30

I do feel sorry for you as on Amoxy and co-codomol for a tooth abcess atm. Started the AB yesterday and it is becoming a dull pain and less intense now.

Root canal booked for end of the month.

LauLauLemon Wed 10-Aug-11 22:34:58

Clove oil and paramol tablets worked for me. I had two wisdom teeth impacted and split in half with an infection in both. Clove oil is a miracle in a bottle.

KatyMac Wed 10-Aug-11 22:47:26

Stupid thing is I have a pack of amoxy here (it's DH's emergency supply)

Do you think I could 'borrow' a couple to get a head start wink

I guess not the dentist might not prescribe them (I could get something else/wrong dose etc....but it's awfully tempting)

Thanks everyone - sorry I am being a wuss; sympathy youarekidding I think I am on route for a root canal too

MrsJamesMartin Wed 10-Aug-11 22:49:38

They may drain the abcess in the tooth and wash it all out instead of antibiotics, sounds gruesome but, trust me, it gives instant relief, you have my sympathy.

KatyMac Wed 10-Aug-11 22:53:10

I can't see the dentist until Tuesday

I hope they go with the amoxy; I really do

youarekidding Wed 10-Aug-11 22:56:10

Yes they may start draining, They did that with mine, then x rayed and noticed an infection on the tooth next to it as well. Had 1 root canal and waiting for other but has got painful again hence AB.

katymac I would wait and see dentist. Mine prescribed the 250mg AH and the ones DR gives are usually 500's.

lau sympathies. I had 2 impacted wisdom teeth cut out under GA and one removed under local which cracked the one next to it and it being removed resulting in me getting septicemia from infection. The 2 abcessed teeth are next to these so may be related and they are trying really hard to save them sad

bellaisgoingtoHawaii Wed 10-Aug-11 23:00:13

Clove Oil!

About £1 from the chemist. Dip a cotton bud into the bottle and then roll the bud around the affected area. Repeat every couple of hours. Works a treat.

KatyMac Wed 10-Aug-11 23:01:51

I will go & get clove oil tomorrow I promise

<weeps>

I am a massive dentalphobic I will have to have valium before I go next week

bellaisgoingtoHawaii Wed 10-Aug-11 23:06:46

I so know where you are coming from though. I really look after my teetth, but I have so much bloody trouble with them. I need another crown which I am scheduled to have done between Xmas and new year. Have had a few root canals done too.

shodatin Thu 11-Aug-11 00:02:32

The sensitive toothpastes work immediately too, original Sensodyne worth keeping in first-aid kit. Depending on the area one of the many pain-killing gels rubbed on jaw can help temporarily, as can rinsing mouth with warm tea made with dried Thyme, which is also antiseptic. Good luck.

youarekidding Thu 11-Aug-11 07:46:12

Also going to buy some clove oil myself today.

I also look after my teeth really well but apparently its my medical history which has caused these problems. Its just teeth are so visable. sad

Grumpystiltskin Thu 11-Aug-11 18:39:47

Antibiotics shouldn't be routinely prescribed for toothache. Unless there is swelling, they shouldn't really be used, what should be done is the tooth opened and dressed (like the first stage of root canal treatment). I work at an NHS out of hours dental clinic and of the patients I see who HAVE a dentist, about 80% of them have been incorrectly prescribed antibiotics because it is easy and quick to do. What takes time (and what I do) is numbing the area up, removing the dead or dying nerve remnants, dressing the tooth with bactericidal dressings and placing a temporary filling.
Either that or extraction but I tend to try to save the tooth where possible.

If you were my sister and your dentist gave you antibiotics for frank toothache (with no swelling) I would tell you to find another dentist PDQ.

Please PM me if you have more specific questions.

KatyMac Fri 19-Aug-11 08:28:08

All root canaled, & then my crown fell out; so that was fixed too

& I need another root canal in 2 weeks (says the Xray) sad

I feel a bit smacked in the mouth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now