Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

kicked out of Gp practice

(51 Posts)
noGPforme Wed 10-Aug-11 19:05:47

i have name changed for this.

i have depression, diagnosed by the doctors, and sometimes i have panic attacks where i can't leave the house or even make a phone call.

i have missed 3 appoinment in 12 months, and because of the surgeries policy i have now been removed from the register and i only have 3 days of medication left.

i am now really scared that i will be without medication or a doctors.

Nancy66 Wed 10-Aug-11 19:08:47

How long do the panic attacks last?
it does seem strange that you can't make a phone call.....but, I admit, I don't know much about them

I think you need to ring the practice manager and explain the situation and ask for them to reconsider.

I do see their point about the no shows though - it is selfish to not turn up or cancel.

AgentZigzag Wed 10-Aug-11 19:10:41

Does the doctor know you aren't able to attend the appointments because of your depression?

If they do, I think they're being very unreasonable.

Have you talked to the surgery? Either when you made the appointment or at the appointment time?

Can you get a repeat prescription from them?

I just can't believe they can just cut you off from all support.

Perhaps try ringing NHS Direct and ask their advice.

joric Wed 10-Aug-11 19:10:42

You could e- mail or text them with your concerns and ask for help.

noGPforme Wed 10-Aug-11 19:11:20

sometimes they can last minutes sometimes they can last hours.

Mandy2003 Wed 10-Aug-11 19:11:49

Do you have a local Mind group, or any other organisation that could advocate for you?

5littleducks Wed 10-Aug-11 19:11:54

1. Try not to worry. You have 3 whole days to sort something out.
2. Ask for this thread to be moved to general health - you are likely to get better advice on this issue there.
3. Can you or your partner/friend phone the surgery in the morning to explain? It is probably just a blanket policy and they will restore you.
4. Even if they don't, you won't be left without your meds - phone nhs direct for advice.
Good luck

noGPforme Wed 10-Aug-11 19:12:01

there is no text service or email or i would of text them

bubblesincoffee Wed 10-Aug-11 19:12:53

Is the reason you missed appointments because you were having panic attacks then?

knittedbreast Wed 10-Aug-11 19:12:54

do you not have a named person who collects your meds and speaks to your doc on your behalf?

unfitmother Wed 10-Aug-11 19:12:55

Do have someone who could act as an advocate for you?

joric Wed 10-Aug-11 19:13:41

Also, in future, e-mailer text them if you can't attend to stop this happening again - they will also have a system for type phone calls for deaf patients that you could use.

noGPforme Wed 10-Aug-11 19:14:21

there is only my husband, but he is only allowed to use his phone in certain parts of his works

curlyredhair Wed 10-Aug-11 19:14:28

You can use them as a visitor whilst you find another surgery. You need to contact your pct and they will allocate you a surgery. Don't worry. I had this happen to me after I was (stupidly) put on a very expensive asthma drug. It hasn't affected my subsequent health care.

mrsshears Wed 10-Aug-11 19:16:19

could you not have had a friend call for you?
or do you not have a CPN?
missed appointments cost gp's money and unpoplular as this may be deppresion(i have suffered fom this too in the past) or not you have a responsibility to yourself make sure you have enough medication,if you cannot do this then you need a CPN.

coccyx Wed 10-Aug-11 19:16:23

why didn't you phone them and explain why you missed the appointment

joric Wed 10-Aug-11 19:16:39

Just read your last post. Then the service for deaf patients..also, I am very surprised about e-mail confused - find a surgery that is in this century instead- so that they can help you.

McDreamy Wed 10-Aug-11 19:17:07

You need to talk to them. They have automatically removed you from the list because you DNA. This is fairly standard practice however you have a reason for not attending. Are you able, or is someone else able to ring them up for you and explain the situation?

It seems to me (and this is someone who has never had a panic attack) you need to have a strategy in place for attending appointments and getting more medication. You need to try and explain to the Dr that your panic attacks can prevent you from attending the appointments and getting more medication.

Really sorry this has happened to you, it can't be helping how you feel sad

DisgustedofTumbridgeWells Wed 10-Aug-11 19:17:53

What curlyredhair?
Did your surgery kick you out of the practice because you were put on an expensive drug?

DeWe Wed 10-Aug-11 19:18:16

Can't imagine NHS direst would have anything useful to say on the subject.

It sounds like a policy that has been implimented by admin rather than the doctor. So I'd try to actually speak to the doctor and discuss it. I suspect they will be more sympathetic because they know it's what they're treating.

smoggii Wed 10-Aug-11 19:18:44

If they have not followed appropriate procedure you can make a complaint. All procedures should have regard to DDA - which should take into account any MH issues

joric Wed 10-Aug-11 19:19:42

The phone line where you type the conversation rather than talking to them is what I'm suggesting- so that you don't have to talk to them- or am I misunderstanding why you didn't contact them? ;(

herbietea Wed 10-Aug-11 19:22:57

Message withdrawn

noGPforme Wed 10-Aug-11 19:23:00

the panic attackes are getting less, i had one on monday after being 10 months clear.

oh well best get the yellow pages out and start phoning doctors surgeries

herbietea Wed 10-Aug-11 19:25:47

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now