Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have to go and get a sleep monitor in a couple of weeks.

(12 Posts)
TheOriginalFAB Tue 09-Aug-11 15:47:19

Has anyone any experience of using one and can tell me about it please?

AuntieMonica Tue 09-Aug-11 15:48:56

what's it to monitor?

DH had the finger one for sleep apnoea wee while back

TheOriginalFAB Tue 09-Aug-11 15:52:03

I am being tested for slepp apnea too.

CMOTdibbler Tue 09-Aug-11 15:54:08

Is it the one you do at home, or overnight at the hospital ? DH did his as an inpatient

AuntieMonica Tue 09-Aug-11 15:54:59

ah, he had to clip a monitor onto his finger to test for blood oxygen, and keep it there all night.

they take a reading and can find out if your levels drop at all throughout the night, indicating if you do actually stop breathing or not.

DH's were fine, although i did threaten to choke him myself if he didn't find out what was causing him to snore so loudly shock

is this the same as you will use, do you know?

TheOriginalFAB Tue 09-Aug-11 15:58:29

The lady just rang and sad to go and pick the monitor up, so I am assuming it is something to do at home. I don't think I stop breathing but I do gasp for breath and snore when before I didn't. I am also extremely tired all the time and it is getting too much. If this comesback fine I am going to demand ask for blood tests as I have symptoms for thyroid and diabetes problems but the GP keeps saying I am fine. Well I am not.

AuntieMonica Tue 09-Aug-11 16:04:24

sorry, i made a joke about DH snoring, i do understand what sleep interruption can do sad

he lost a bit of weight, uses mild steroid nasal spray and also 'Snoreeze' herbal throat spray each night. This helps him, but any sign of a cold and he's off again.

You do have to keep pressing your GP for investigations, DH felt like a right malingerer at times, but sleep deprivation/interruption is awful for all concerned.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 09-Aug-11 16:13:40

I wasn't offended about your joke smile.

I need a sleep now and I have a 4-5 hour drive tomorrow.

whyme2 Tue 09-Aug-11 16:22:04

Hi Fab,

I had my monitor last week. It is a simple clip on your finger with a little machine you wear attached to your wrist. It is very easy and non obtrusive at all. I slept okay but was more disturbed by the neighbours party tbh hmm

I remember your last thread about this and I am glad you are at least starting to get somewhere. I have to go back to the consultant in Sept for the results. My snoring is terrible according to dh, myself I never hear a thing but I know when I've had a "loud" night as during the day I feel like I am walking through treacle so there must be some effect on my sleeping.

Good luck smile

TheOriginalFAB Tue 09-Aug-11 16:24:56

Thank you. I have a head ache now thanks to 2 of my kids [fed up].

Madlizzy Tue 09-Aug-11 16:29:28

DH did this last week, but has to do it again, as he took it off halfway through the night in his sleep!

TheOriginalFAB Tue 09-Aug-11 16:35:39

That is the sort of thing I would do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now