Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How can avoid getting all these bugs from DS?

(10 Posts)
sdotg Tue 09-Aug-11 14:58:33

DS at nursery and obviously picks up every germ going, he is fairly resilient with it but they are just knocking us for six.
Both myself and DH are bed bound currently with fever and a stomach bug, I've never been so sickly, pre baby I would get maybe 1 cold a year.
Any top tips to deal with the germ attacks better?
Thanks

tabbycat7 Tue 09-Aug-11 15:12:15

I have found being a little over the top with hygiene has helped me in the past: continous handwashing with antibacterial soap, putting everything sicky straight in the washing machine squirting everything non machinable with dettol, bleach in the loo everytime and regular wiping of seat. How old's ds? I think your immune system's compromised for about ayear afterwards.

Hope you feel better btw smile

sdotg Tue 09-Aug-11 16:16:33

Thanks, I didn't want to become too germ obsessed but suspect you are right, dettol and handwashing it is. DS is only 19 months and I went back to work when he was 1 year.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 09-Aug-11 18:08:40

If possible leave windows open in the room for half an hour after someone has been sick.

wonkylegs Fri 12-Aug-11 20:22:52

Actually I'd go the other way ... Overuse of anti-bacterials and obsessive cleanliness will not help build up your immune response. I'm not saying be dirty but don't overuse or become obsessive. Look at your immunity ... Are you tired, worn out, not eating as well as you'd like - all of these wear down your immunity
My DS (3) has been full time in nursery since he was 7mnths and it feels like he's had a runny nose for 75% of the time and it's always been a worry for me as I'm properly immuno compromised due to medical treatment. I've always been told to practice good but not obsessive hygiene (except with d&v then be paranoid) and work on getting enough rest (thanks doc are you gonna do the night time potty trips) and an extra good diet...if your still run down after this you could go and chat with your GP as it could be something underlying that's just worth ruling out

kittensliveupstairs Sat 13-Aug-11 07:13:55

When we lived in the ME, DD had dysentry and giardia three times. Neither me nor DH caught it despite doing her nappies.
I think a sensible route to go down is to wash your hands properly, anti bac stuff is not necessary and wipe your worktops and changning mats over with hot soapy water.
Like wonkylegs said, overuse of antibacs etc won't help to improve your immune system.

Meglet Sat 13-Aug-11 07:26:57

My dc's nearly wiped us all out in winter 10 due to the constant bugs.

Since then I've become a mad hand-washer, don't use anti-bac as it destroys my hands. I wash and change hand towels every day. We don't share towels, not even the dc's, and they are washed after one use. They never share baths anymore. Toothbrushes are kept separately (the kids have INTG holders and mine is in a cup).

And TBH I don't eat with them very often these days blush. Its times like that that I'm most likely to touch them then put my hands in my mouth. I was in trouble at work for being sick all the time so I've had to try and keep well.

Then there's the obvious stuff about keeping the house clean and fresh air in the house.

HoneyPablo Sat 13-Aug-11 07:34:33

It will get better. I work in a nursery and it can seem like you catch everything going when you first start. But you do start to build up natural resistance. Just as well really,as I can't afford to be off sick as I don't get sick pay.
I don't think going over the top with cleanliness is the answer. Handwashing is very important, though. I must wash my hands at least 20 times a day while at work.
My top tips for not picking up the bugs are get lots of sleep, lots of fresh air and lots of good food.

Conflugenglugen Sat 13-Aug-11 08:30:40

Hand-washing, hand-washing, hand-washing - and, as some posters have said here, antibac is not necessary in this case, and might even cause more problems over the long term.

Also, don't touch your face - at all - not mouth, nose, eyes.

Iamseeingstars Sat 13-Aug-11 10:00:36

Im in the same situation. My DC is constantly getting colds and then I get them then he gets them and its a vicious circle.

Hospital keeps saying about handwashing and anti bacterial stuff and we are all using it religiously but it isnt making a difference.

I wish I could find something that would help. we all eat healthy food and have lots of outside activities

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now