Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tonsillitis sufferers - can you come and talk to me about it please!

(10 Posts)
FatStanley Tue 09-Aug-11 08:30:29

I had tonsillitis for the first time in 25 yrs (had it once as a child) about 7 weeks ago. I had it again 2 weeks ago (I recovered slightly more quickly but my throat was significantly worse - extremely swollen as well as pus covered and my glands were very swollen too).

I went to see my Dr at the beginning of last week because my glands were still very swollen and sore, she asked about mumps and glandular fever (I've had both) so she put it down to the tonsillitis.

Since then I had a day where I had a very sore throat and my glands were up again which subsided and now it has happened again, very sore throat, glands up - I can't see any pus spots though. What is going on?!! Oh and it is all only on one side of my neck.

I'm reluctant to see my GP again because I haven't got tonsillitis (she said if I did to go straight back and get antibiotics) - is this stuff with the glands/sore throat normal? It is driving me crazy!

Thanks if you manages to get to the end of this rather dull post blush smile

CarrieOakey Tue 09-Aug-11 08:33:47

Get yourself back to the GP and let them diagnose you! You've clearly got something going on and I would suggest you need more antibiotics you poor thing.

I had tonsillitis once as an adult and was hospitalised for it as I needed IV antibiotics. It's bloody miserable sad

ClaireDeLoon Tue 09-Aug-11 08:36:57

I suffered bout after bout of tonsillitis through my 20's after having glandular fever.

It does sound like you just can't seem to shake it. Could the spots actually be further down your throat than you can see?

I would return to the gp. As I understood it (and we're talking years ago and I may have misunderstood) they give antibiotics to stop a secondary infection, it could be that is what you have?

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 09-Aug-11 08:40:41

You need to go back, sometimes tonsilltis can be really hard to get rid of fully.

GreenTeapot Tue 09-Aug-11 08:55:52

I get this quite often. To be honest I've never been to the GP cos it does eventually clear itself up after a few weeks. It's as if the tonsillitis wears you down and then it's hard to properly shake it off. I often go on to get a cold or something which always makes my glands flare up again.

I usually gargle with salt water or Corsodyl, and take ibuprofen and paracetamol. Lots of hot drinks to ease the sore ears. And rest (not that I ever seem to manage much of that hmm). Hope you feel better soon.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 09-Aug-11 08:57:30

problem is, that repeated infections lead to scarring and permanent enlargement. The surgeon who took mine out commented at how scarred they were. Having them out transformed my health, I felt well overall for the first time in a long time (once i'd got over the post op infection hmm )

GreenTeapot Tue 09-Aug-11 09:02:27

I know. But I'd forever be on antibiotics, and the actual tonsillitis isn't severe enough to warrant having them out. As long as I don't get too run down I keep it at bay, it's just that post-infection sore glands thing that's hard.

OP do you think you might have a cold or sinus thing as well?

FatStanley Tue 09-Aug-11 09:05:23

Oh thank you, I wasn't expecting replies so quickly! I didn't bother with anti-biotics last time as I had done some reading and it seems mostly that it is viral. I am very tired though and the sore throat is pants so maybe i do need some. I try to avoid anti-biotics if possible as they always give me delightful side effects like a bad stomach and/or thrush! Thanks for the replies smile GP later for me!

FatStanley Tue 09-Aug-11 10:33:26

Oh and yes green teapot I do have a sinus thing too I think - lots of catarrh <boak>

SparkleRainbow Tue 09-Aug-11 11:08:39

You need the antibiotics. Don't self dx, go to the gp, as they asked, get yourself checked out, you probably have a secondary infection. ou need a good dose for about two weeks of anti bios, to actually ghet rid of the bug which hides in the textured surface of the tonsils, you don't want to have surgery unless yuou have to, it is a much more serious op as an adult, as there is a major artery behind them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now