Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hair loss after pregnancy..!!

(12 Posts)
Nicshev Mon 08-Aug-11 22:36:38

Does anyone have any advice for hair loss after pregnancy? My baby is 16 weeks and recently I have noticed a lot more of my hair than usual coming out during a shower etc.

Has anybody experienced this and if so when did it stop sad thanks

ReelAroundTheFountain Mon 08-Aug-11 22:47:23

Oh yes, after both my ds's my hair came out in handfuls. It lasted a few weeks as I remember. I read that its because when you're pregnant your hair doesn't really fall out at all so afterwards it all catches up.

It seemed bad at the time but soon calmed down and I still have a pretty decent head of hair now!

TeamEdward Mon 08-Aug-11 22:50:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Beamur Mon 08-Aug-11 22:52:31

I think (I may be wrong..) that your natural cycle of hair loss is linked to your immune system which is altered when you are pregnant - so you lose less hair than usual while pregnant, but it then changes again once you have your baby.

Shutupanddrive Tue 09-Aug-11 10:19:33

Mine is really bad and ds2 is 15 months now! My hair doesn't seem to be any thinner though, but it was always really thick. It's just a nightmare all over the bathroom floor and my clothes after i have brushed it angry

Imnotaslimjim Tue 09-Aug-11 10:46:52

Look up hair cycle during pregnancy and that will explain why it happens. While your pregnant you lose next to no hair, so you seem to lose a lot within a few weeks of the birth. As long as it isn't getting thin (or thinner than it was before pregnancy) then you have nothing to worry about

Seona1973 Tue 09-Aug-11 13:37:39

mine was worst after dd was born and seemed to go on for a few months. It lasted less time after ds was born. It is normal to lose extra hair after birth as during pregnancy your hair is stuck in a growth phase and you hardly lose any - after birth the hair enters a new phase and you lose all the excess hair. I used to block the shower, have to cut hair out the rollers of the hoover and would find it everywhere including in the dc's nappies!!

sancerrre Tue 09-Aug-11 13:42:33

Mine started at 6 months and is still coming out at 8.5 months. I recently had a few inches cut off though and its not so bad now. Or perhaps doesn't seem so bad as the hairs are shorter. It's definitely thinner than prepg now so hoping it comes back at some point!

5inthebed Tue 09-Aug-11 13:46:20

I had this after having all three of my DC. It is perfectly normal, all to do with hormones. You probably didn't lose much hair when you were pregnant, so you're losing it all now.

Try not to panic or worry, it will stop.

Pootles2010 Tue 09-Aug-11 13:49:51

I lost lots, is fine now, but for a little while I had little tufts, sort of by my temples.

My hairdresser helped me disguise it. Don't worry, totally normal!

Oh and when you get your tufts, try holding them down with a comb, then blitzing with hairspray iyswim - helps them lie flat rather than sticking up!

Lainey1981 Tue 09-Aug-11 15:33:31

I lost a fair bit. Started when ds was 3 months and stopped when he was around 6 months. Was quite alarming for me as my hair is v fine anyway. Ds is now 8 months and hair is growing back well. Have quite noticeable growth by my temples which is a bit like a new fringe, so am optimistic that will have thicker hair again soon,

Nicshev Tue 09-Aug-11 23:55:39

Thanks for all your replies smile don't feel do bad knowing this has happened to other mums..! Just need to keep my fingers crossed it gets better soon grin xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now