Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

fasting blood test - what can you drink????

(7 Posts)
lisaneedsarest Mon 08-Aug-11 19:12:23

Hi, I'm sure someone here will be able to answer my question, can you drink anything other than water?? Well can you drink squash to be more specific??

michglas Mon 08-Aug-11 19:14:05

You can eat and drink up until midnight and then after that just water.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Mon 08-Aug-11 19:16:27

No squash, but you can drink herbal tea, tea and coffee providing you don't add milk or sugar, and don't drink too much of it.

Sidge Mon 08-Aug-11 19:18:01

Just water.

For most fasting blood tests you need to have nothing but water for 12 hours prior to the blood test, not just after midnight.

You can drink black tea and coffee but water is the best thing to drink to allow for most accurate results.

lisaneedsarest Mon 08-Aug-11 19:24:05

Thanks, it is a 14 hr fasting so it is from now until 9.15 tomorrow. I guessed it was just water due to the sugars and stuff but just wanted to check!

IntotheNittyGritty Tue 09-Aug-11 04:49:04

I would just stick to water and bear with it. The last thing you want is for the nurse to say they wont do the tests because you have drunk something.

Make sure you take some food with you to eat straight after. You will be glad of it

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 09-Aug-11 06:14:57

Probably too late now but just water. Didn't you get an info sheet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now