Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How much life insurance do you have!?

(18 Posts)
Teachermumof3 Mon 08-Aug-11 13:39:09

We have it currently to cover the mortgage, but I'm going to get another policy, just so there is something spare if, God forbid, anything were to happen to us. I was thinking-maybe about £100k? Obviously it wouldn't enable me/DH to not work forever, but maybe a year or two whilst we sorted ourselves out?

I know this is morbid, but I didn't know how much was sensible and affordable?! Do other people have policies that would enable them to never work again if their DH died??

MynameisnotEarl Mon 08-Aug-11 13:45:46

We're separated now, but ex-h and I only had enough insurance to cover paying off the mortgage - the remaining partner would have had to carry on working to pay the other bills.

AMumInScotland Mon 08-Aug-11 14:01:56

I doubt anyone can afford a "never work again" amount, as the premiums would be enormous!

We have life assurance with the mortgage, which would pay it off if either of us dies.

Plus we are both lucky enough to be in pension schemes - mine would pay out 3 x annual salary if I died, I think DHs may be 2 x salary. I think that's a reasonable amount extra to be covered for - it would let one of you not work at all for a few years while the children were small, or to go part-time for longer, and cushion you against the worst of it.

I think looking at it from the point of view of current salary helps make it more real - without mortgage payments, you could probably manage on half your current household income, at a guess? So insurance for a year's salary would let you manage for a couple of years. Multiply up from there, depending on things like the number and ages of children - if you have several small children, then going out to work isn't going to be realistic until they are in school, and even then is likely to be part-time.

HarrietJones Mon 08-Aug-11 15:37:41

Me -250k dh -100. I'm younger than him & cheaper to insure( 1/4 his price!) I also have to provide for 3dds not one

Teachermumof3 Mon 08-Aug-11 15:54:26

Thank you for all the replies!

Can I be nosy and ask if you all have critical illness cover, too?

AMumInScotland Mon 08-Aug-11 16:48:45

No, but again I'm lucky as the sickness cover at work is better than average. Also, I have doubts about what I've heard about some of the critical illness schemes being a bit reluctant to pay out and finding excuses to drag their heels.

HarrietJones Mon 08-Aug-11 16:49:41

No. I don't, I've had too much illness for it

Catslikehats Mon 08-Aug-11 16:52:10

Mortgage would be paid off and about £750k on top of that.

I don't work atm and the chances of getting a job that would pay anything like DH earns would be slim + if he was to die it would hardly be my priority.

If I died DH would need some pretty full on childcare.

SparkleRainbow Mon 08-Aug-11 18:28:56

We calculated it by, enough to pay off the mortgage as enough to cover what we individually contributed for a few years , if dh dies then his salary, if I die then child care and house keeper. I think working it out that way is more accurate for you.

Catslikehats Mon 08-Aug-11 18:31:29

Agree with sparklerainbow

MynameisnotEarl Mon 08-Aug-11 20:02:54

No critical illness cover, my age means it's prohibitively expensive.

I do have redundancy & illness/accident cover which will cover the mortgage payments for up to a year.

pantaloons Mon 08-Aug-11 20:05:21

We have life insurance to cover the mortgage, but I cannot get critical illness or any other life insurance as I have epilepsy. The gits won't touch me in case I choke on me tongue! grin

Milliways Mon 08-Aug-11 20:59:44

We took out extra policies DD arrived- and as she is now 20 they must be about to expire. Need some more, but the Mortgage policies were level term & the Mortgage almost paid off (early) so we have that for a few more years.

Difficult to know how much to get once Mortgage gone as in 5 years time DS will have (hopefully) finished Uni and DD (should) be employed.

AmeliaSachs Thu 11-Aug-11 21:00:18

I have life insurance of £250,000. I took it out when DS was born. I worked it out by multiplying a basic salary of £15,000 by the 18 years that DS would need to be supported.

I Have critical illness cover included in this policy of £100,000, (i think).

It took a bit of persuading, and lots of medicals, as I had only just been diagnosed with post-natal depression. They were scared i would top myself! So I managed to get them to agree to not pay out if I did kill myself within the first 5 years, and a payout would not be paid out in the first year.

Only pay £15 pm. Check out Direct Line Life. Fab customer service

bananapirate Sat 13-Aug-11 08:27:43

about £2m

Bearskinwoolies Sat 13-Aug-11 17:00:15

Dh and I are insured enough that I could stop working if anything were to happen to him.

We have insurance to pay off all the bills, including the mortgage, critical illness cover on us both, and due to the job my dh does, his pension includes an insurance scheme that means that I would get a lump sum, a pension, and our dcs get a pension.

ameliagrey Sat 13-Aug-11 17:43:47

TBH I would need to check- I know that DH gets a lot with his work, should he die in service for any reason, and in total we would have about £1/2 million. Mortgage would automatically be paid off.

I think my own policy amounts to about £200K.

Snuppeline Sat 13-Aug-11 18:11:32

I've got critical illness cover and life insurance. My critical illness cover is for £100 000 and also pay out if I die. My life insurance is £500 000. My partner have the same amount so as a family we're covered for a total of £1.1 million. I've also got cover through work and when I take a new job soon the family will have a number of other service related insurances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now