Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

diverticulitis

(4 Posts)
flyingmum Sun 07-Aug-11 20:56:01

Hi
My father has just gone down with this. He is an active and healthy 87 year old. He has been given antibiotics. He eats a good diet but the only advice he has been given is to keep off the alcohol. Has anyone got any experience of this and make any suggestions that might help. He is in a lot of pain at times. I have in the back of my mind that people were told to keep off wheat but perhaps that is coeliac disease I am thinking of. He eats quite a bit of fruit, and a lot of veg. He never eats any processed food.

Thank you.

shazbean Sun 07-Aug-11 21:04:03

DH has this and the only advice he was given was to increase his fibre intake and drink less. I think wheat is ok.
It is treated by antibiotics and painkillers but if it is severe they will consider surgery to remove the affected piece of intestine. It sounds like your Dad is already doing the right things and is simply unlucky to have this.
In each case when DH was ill it took a week in hospital on IV antibiotics and then probably another week at home to get back to normal, but my understanding is that this was quite bad. HTH.
I hope your Dad gets better soon.

flyingmum Sun 07-Aug-11 21:10:59

Thank you shaz. Hope your DH doesn't have another episode. Dad looked fairly ok today when we went round so hopefully the antibiotics are begining to work. I don't think it helped that he had been having a bit of pain for over two months but didn't think to mention it . . . .

shazbean Sun 07-Aug-11 21:17:03

Tbh it seems to flare up overnight, after heavy fatty meals (takeaways) for DH, so fingers crossed it may not happen again. Better to catch it as soon as, DH waits until he can't move........men!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now