Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Back problems

(3 Posts)
IndigoBell Sun 07-Aug-11 20:51:41

My DH has a dehydrated L3 disc, that causes him moderate pain.

We are sick of trying to get the NHS to deal with it - but we don't know who to see private.

So, what is the correct professional to see if we were to go private?

He had a course of steroid injections, and thinks maybe he need another one... but just hasn't got a clue who to see.

Pkam Sun 07-Aug-11 21:44:06

Get him to speak to his GP. They will know who best to refer to in your area and will write the referral letter. If your GP gives options then just google the hospital/specialist so you can do your own research.

Alternately do a search for orthapaedic surgeons in your area then look for one that specialises in discs.

I had two sets of steroid injections for prolapses at L2/L3 and L3/L4 done privately. They did help but aren't a miracle cure. Consultants will give you all the pros and cons and discuss options prior to offering any treatment.

tjacksonpfc Sun 07-Aug-11 22:17:51

Indigiobell. Out of instrest is your dh back problem due to lack of fluid between the discs. I have got next to no fluid beteen disk c1-6 and t1-5. My consultant called it black disk. I've given up with him after he told me i was to young to have that problem im 31 and to carry on with the tablets till im at least 60 im am on tramadol so no light weight tablets.

I havn't been offered steroid injections for it. sorry this doesn't answer your question but never come across anyone with the same problem.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: