Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

optician or gp around?

(5 Posts)
cakeoholic Sat 06-Aug-11 22:17:10

Optician told me to get brolene/golden eye ointment today but after reading leaflet not sure it's the right thing.

I have a red, swollen, itchy eyelid. It started yesterday about 5ish on one side of my eyelid, I wear contacts so took them out, took off eye makeup and cleaned with salty water. Was worse this morning, across whole eyelid, hot to touch, more red and quite droopy so went to optician. Vision is fine, no discharge, no crusting this morning or anything like that, other eye is fine. The cleaning with salty water feels great and seems to help both the look and feel for quite a while afterwards.

Optom thinks it's most likely an infection 'deep in the tissue' of my eyelid and recommended the brolene/golden eye, cold compresses and antibiotics when I can see a gp and a recommendation to go to eye hospital if it gets worse.

Could only get golden eye and it says for conjunctivitis and put under lower eyelid but this doesn't seem to be the right area for my problem-he turned my eyelid inside out and can't see any sign of infection there, it's more under the skin. I don't want to start the ointment if its the wrong thing.

Can any gp's or optoms advise? Will try to get a gp appointment on monday morning (though that is easier said than done!) just want to do the right thing between now and then.

hiddenhome Sat 06-Aug-11 22:55:53

It sounds like you need an oral antibiotic which you will only get from the GP.

Herecomesthesciencebint Sat 06-Aug-11 23:01:24

is it upper eye? could be a stye forming, thats an infection in one of the eylash faollicles? or is it more the actual eye lid skin ie where you would put eyeshadow? could it be a reaction to make up? the red and itchy but not sticky or sore sounds more allergy than infection?? you could have had something irritant on your hands and rubbed your eyelid without knowing.

Id avoid anything like brolene and carry on with salty water then see your GP on monday provided it doesnt get any worse. maybe try taking some antiistamines tomorrow?

if yiyr vision is ok and its not painful or red in the actual white part of the eye it sounds fine to leave til monday. may even be better by then!

cakeoholic Sat 06-Aug-11 23:02:33

Thanks hidden, I am hoping I can sort that out on Mon but just wondering what to do now for the best. Use the ointment which will not actually be touching the infected area as far as I can tell or continue with the salt and water

cakeoholic Sat 06-Aug-11 23:10:26

It's the upper eyelid, yes. I thought stye at first but there is no lump and optician didn't think so. He used a big, long, medical name, I should have got him to write it down!

I have worn contacts since I was 14 and am now 28 so I don't really touch my eyes much as habit so would be surprised if it was that. My makeup is very gentle anyway and both mascara and eye liner are a only a few months old so not much chance of it being them. Plus wouldn't it have got better rather than worse if it was a environmental thing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now