Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do boys get "breast buds"?

(5 Posts)
Mandy2003 Thu 04-Aug-11 16:54:38

I've also posted this in Teens but thought I'd try here in Health too!

I remember when I was around 12 getting hard painful lumps under my nipples, my mother not knowing what they were and racing me off to the doctor. And his sarcasm as he told us they were breast buds and a normal part of puberty. This sarcasm did a lot for my self esteem I can tell you.

Now my DS is 12 and he seems to have them too. I told him it was nothing to worry about, I had them at his age and it was part of puberty. But is it? Do boys normally get them? Please put my mind at rest!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 04-Aug-11 16:58:22

It's normal.

Mandy2003 Thu 04-Aug-11 17:06:00

OK, thanks, I'm semi-reassured. Although when I read the page title "Gynaecomastia" I was a bit alarmed - as far as I knew what that means is Moobs! It doesn't actually say what the cause is in Adolescence, just that it happens. Anyone know more specifically?

KindleAddict Thu 04-Aug-11 22:43:06

Yes its normal. My 12 yr old ds had them for a few months and was quite embarrassed by them til dh told him that its normal and he'd had them too. AFAIK they have settled down now.

madhattershouse Thu 04-Aug-11 22:47:02

My 11 year old has just got this. God puberty is a minefield!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now