Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I get varifocals and if so what type?

(13 Posts)
doncaster1 Thu 04-Aug-11 12:43:27

I have just had my latest eye test and I have been recommended varifocals. (the most expensive lens type of course) I am a little in shock that my usual £100 glasses could end up costing nearly £300.
I do wear my glasses all the time. I drive and use a computer etc. Also I am finding reading difficult with glasses on. Can read relatively ok without them.
Thought please.

ragged Fri 05-Aug-11 05:55:44

Alternative would be to get 2 prs: reading glasses and keep your distance ones, too; I have glasses for distance & another pair for reading, reality is I only use the reading ones when playing piano as I can read ok without glasses.

doncaster1 Fri 05-Aug-11 13:34:13

Thanks ragged. I am thinking along those lines too. I can probably cope without reading if I had to. Varifocal lenses seem so expensive.

exoticfruits Fri 05-Aug-11 13:51:12

I put off getting them for ages and wish Ihad had them earlier-they are wonderful.Worth the money.

exoticfruits Fri 05-Aug-11 13:51:49

Go to SpecSave-they generally have offers.

doncaster1 Fri 05-Aug-11 14:03:12

What type would you recommend exotic? I went to specsavers and they recoomended the ones with a £159 upcharge. Are they the ones you have or did you go for a cheaper option. Also do you still get some distortion?

exoticfruits Fri 05-Aug-11 15:45:05

Unfortunately I don't really know what sort and have lost my prescription when I tried to look it up for you. I don't get distortion. I always go to Specsaver because they have a polaroid camera so that I can actually see what I look like in frames and I always have buy one get one free so that I get varifocal sun glasses at the same time. I am due for an eye test now so it is ages since I got them. Hopefully someone will come along with advice soon.
I suspect I pay for the top ones.

exoticfruits Fri 05-Aug-11 15:46:39

You could take your prescription around several opticians and ask advice-and then use the advice to get the best offer.

RunningOutOfIdeas Fri 05-Aug-11 15:51:26

I also have the Specsavers expensive ones. I do not get any distortion. I think the greater the difference between the 2 prescriptions, the more likely you are to get distortion with cheaper options.

I also liked the fact that Specsavers will give you a full refund if you decide that you really cant get along with varifocals.

My eyesight is really bad so I also have to pay for ultrathin lenses on top of the varifocal cost.

startail Fri 05-Aug-11 15:56:41

My Dad has worn them for the last 30 years (he's 73). I was with him when he got the first pair. He walked round the shopping centre, with a huge grin on his face. Went back to the opticians and orders some identical sunglasses.
He did a lot of driving and the gradual change of focus was much better than a sharp line for looking from the road to the speedo etc.
Do shop around he was told he'd either love or hate them, clearly if you hate them you will be cross if they cost a fortune.

exoticfruits Fri 05-Aug-11 15:59:16

Love them or hate them is very true-or so I find with friends. I love them-it only took half a day to get used to them, if that. A good point in Specsaver's favour if they give a refund.

ihearthuckabees Fri 05-Aug-11 16:05:27

I got them a couple of years ago and they are great. My lenses are Nikon ones, but I know it was difficult to fit them for me, as my face is small and so my eyes are quite close together (sounds attractive, no?), and apparently all EU varifocals are made using the same mould (or something like that!). I have a great optician, who says he enjoyed the challenge of figuring out the correct way to fit them for me, and it worked.

They did cost a lot though. I bought frames in the sale, and I am very strict about not wiping the lenses with paper hankies or any cloth that might scratch them, so they last as long as possible.

DBennett Fri 05-Aug-11 18:48:12

Worth bearing in mind that the majority of varifocal manufacturers, and thus the opticians that sell them, offer a 30day money back guarantee if you can't get on with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now