Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sunburn, can anyone help?

(6 Posts)
lookatthatmess Thu 04-Aug-11 12:10:31

On Monday it was quite cloudy so I stupidly thought I won't need any sun lotion. (was on hols in south England) Anyway after being outside for an hour or two the top of my feet started getting red and itchy. Now its Thursday and they still feel hot and itchy and are red and have a few red spots. I have tried Dermol on them which helped a bit. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Thu 04-Aug-11 12:18:59

It sounds more like a sun reaction than a sunburn unless the red spots are blisters, in both case you should go to the pharmacist to ask for his opinion. You will need something different if it is an allergy or a burn.
On bad sunburn (1st degre though) I have used "8hr cream" before with success after plenty of cool water.
DD1 has a sun sensitivity on her eyelids (no sunburn though) and uses some hydrocortisone cream (on prescription) and has to wear a hat and sun glasses. (i.e. protection, so socks for you?)

RichTeaAreCrap Thu 04-Aug-11 12:42:02

Natural yoghurt is brilliant for sunburn, takes the sting and itch away quickly.

LouPac Thu 04-Aug-11 12:54:44

Aloe Vera gel is fantastic for sunburn, brusing, cuts etc... I use a good quality one where the main ingrediant is Aloe Vera. Its so healing I call it medicine in a tube!! If you want details let me know.

lookatthatmess Thu 04-Aug-11 19:28:49

Thanks everyone for your replies. I got some cooling gel/cream type stuff from Morrisons so might give that a try.

Mummystootired Thu 11-Aug-11 09:05:20

Just wondered how long it takes for skin to start looking normal again. it is now 1 week and 3 days since this rash appeared and it is still there (on the tops of my feet), although it is nowhere near as itchy as it was and has faded a bit. Didn't know whether I should bother my doctor with it as I feel like it's a bit of a trivial matter. Also am wondering if it was some sort of reaction to something rather than sunburn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now