Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anyone come and talk to me about Mirena coils for a minute please?

(17 Posts)
bodiddly Wed 03-Aug-11 11:16:45

I had one put in a week ago and wondered whether it is normal to still be cramping? I got my period the following day which was rather unfortunate timing and by now that would normally have finished but I am still bleeding. Is this the future .. constant cramps and bleeding or just a settling in adjustment time?

Sidge Wed 03-Aug-11 11:20:34

Probably settling in time.

You can get some irregular bleeding for the first few months after insertion and the cramps can last a few weeks.

If the bleeding or cramping persists then go back to the GP/FPC, as it may not suit.

differentnameforthis Wed 03-Aug-11 11:22:28

In my experience it can be. Apparently (so I was told) the body will try to expel it as it is a foreign object, so the cramping is your uterus trying to get rid of it. I was told it could happen for upto 2 weeks...

I certainly had it (cramping) much longer, tbh & had mine out eventually. I almost dd who was then 6mth old in the middle of a severe cramp & it just never stopped!

WhereYouLeftIt Wed 03-Aug-11 11:29:36

I bled a bit for a few weeks, but without cramping - but a normal period for me would only involve cramping on day 1 anyway.

As to the future - I've had mine nearly two years now, I've had about three barely discernable periods in that time with minor discomfort on one of those. Otherwise I'm blissfully unaware of my reproductive organs!

bodiddly Wed 03-Aug-11 11:29:46

Thank you both ... I was hoping it would settle down quickly as I am off on holiday next week. I was semi bullied into this by the dr and colposcopist so am a bit disappointed they didnt warn me properly about it but maybe they were too busy trying to convince me to go ahead. I read you can get some spotting .. I didn't expect it to be more than that though and this is definitely more than spotting. I hope it doesnt make swimming in the pool next week tricky!

Out of interest was it painful having it taken out?

bodiddly Wed 03-Aug-11 11:32:09

WhereYourLeftIt .. thats what I am hoping for! I am only giving it a try due to massively heavy periods and drugs dont seem to be coping on their own. I don't normally have much of a problem with pain - nothing I cant cope with but this is starting to get me down after what feels like so long. I just dont want to ruin my ds' week away with not feeling up to running around with him!

weegiemum Wed 03-Aug-11 11:32:28

If it keeps cramping but you want to keep it (I liked mine) then ask for a scan to make sure it is in the right place. Mine had slipped into my cervix and my Mirena baby (dd2) is now 7!

bodiddly Wed 03-Aug-11 11:38:21

I am hoping it is in the right place as I had it put in at the same time as I had a colposcopy so I am assuming they could see what they were doing. I thought the initial cramping was just down to the biopsy I had and then my period but 10 days later its still the same.

PegPolkadot Wed 03-Aug-11 11:48:24

You can get tablets to take it to stop af while you are on holiday. I always had them because of extremely heavy periods. Norithisone I think.

I had a coil fitted just over a year ago because like you none of the medication helped. It took about 6 months to settle down. I still get periods every month but they are much lighter.

bodiddly Wed 03-Aug-11 11:52:37

thank you Peg .. I wish I knew that before .. I haven't got any time left to get to the Dr to get them now unfortunately. I guess I could start taking the tranexamic and mefenamic acid again as they would probably sort it - I had stopped as I figured it wasnt period type bleeding and although its not heavy its still annoying! Its more the whole "dont use tampons during the first month" thing thats bugging me.

bacon Wed 03-Aug-11 13:51:40

The doctor should of told you that it takes a good 6 - 8 weeks for it to settle and I had that dragging feeling for a good 2 months on and off. Now I love it! my periods are light and short and have no aches at all now.

lazymumofteenagesons Wed 03-Aug-11 18:03:31

As bacon said you should have been warned about the settling down time. I had haphazard spotting for about 6 months but that was far better than agony every month. In fact I had it put in at end of May and went on holiday in July and it still was not quite right but I could wear a tampon by then. Now I have the occasional spotting which might be a period and I've been happy with it for 2 years.

bodiddly Wed 03-Aug-11 20:11:51

thank you everyone... looks as if it is normal and I have to just wait and see whether it settles down. The doctor didnt say anything to me about mirena other than it was pretty much my only option and writing to the colposcopist to see if they would arrange for it to be done. Guess I was just being niave to think it would be ok by now.

differentnameforthis Thu 04-Aug-11 13:29:40

It was uncomfortable when I had mine out, not painful.

Bearcat Thu 04-Aug-11 19:11:29

Had mine just over 2 years ago now and was bleeding very lightly for first 6 - 8 weeks which was frustrating.
Have had very few periods since, and nothing for about 3 months now, but I am 52.
I have never looked back really once it settled down, much better than heavy flooding periods (especially when you end up missing a friends party!)

Larold Fri 05-Aug-11 11:50:40

Beware! I had to have my coil surgically removed under general anaesthetic.The bloody thing had embedded into the lining of my womb. When my gp first tried to get it out all she could find was the end of the string.

Never again sad

keepingthefaith Fri 05-Aug-11 12:25:31

Anyone experienced the oposite effect-bleeding/spotting on/off all month, every month? Generally feeling crap most of the time- headaches, bloating and having to pee a lot? (tmi) This is my second coil, first one was ok sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now