Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

my brother and young nephew have just been stung multiple times and are A&E....

(34 Posts)
silkcushion Tue 02-Aug-11 14:10:47

i've just received a distressing phone call from my mum. She and my dad are visiting my brother and his family in South Wales and whilst out walking the dogs this lunchtime my brother and 6 year old nephew have been attacked by a swarm of wasps/bees.

They were walking through a river when suddenly my mum heard them screaming. They drove immediately to A&E which was, thankfully, 15 minutes away. Mum and Dad have gone back to their house with my little niece and are awaiting news.

My nephew is about the size of a 3/4 year old and was covered in stings all over his head and face. Mum pulled c10 wasps/bees out of his hair on the way to hospital. I've googled this and now am more worried than ever. My brother is very badly stung as well

Does anyone have any knowledge of likely prognosis or outcome?

thx

TanteRose Tue 02-Aug-11 14:14:30

how awful sad

really hope they are OK

VelvetSnow Tue 02-Aug-11 14:14:36

Oh my goodness, how traumatic!

I have no experience or knowledge of this however I wanted to say that I hope it turns out ok.

Pelagia Tue 02-Aug-11 14:16:39

How frightening. Hope they are ok. They are in the right place to get all the help they need. Step away from google!

silkcushion Tue 02-Aug-11 15:10:00

my mum's just had a text saying my nephew is being admitted - no more details yet though

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 02-Aug-11 15:49:33

{{{hugs}}} that is scary, but your Mum reacted very sensibly to get them to a&e so quickly.

FannyFifer Tue 02-Aug-11 15:55:15

How awful, my worst nightmare.
No idea or knowledge about it but hope they are both ok. X

This happened to my husband when he was a child. He was ok but he is now allergic to being stung and has to carry an epi-pen with him. There has been no other lasting effect.

I really hope you get good news and they are both ok.

BerryLellow Tue 02-Aug-11 15:58:12

Hopefully they are just admitting him to monitor in case of swelling causing airway obstruction.

How terrifying, hope they both recover quickly

kingprawntikka Tue 02-Aug-11 15:59:48

T.hat sounds awful, I really hope they are ok

mousymouse Tue 02-Aug-11 16:00:36

how frightening. happended to me when hiking once, the person in front of me swung his jacket over his shoulder and hit a wasp nest.
I had 7 stings on my head, another 5 on my hands, one on one boob (which grew to double the size) and a couple on my legs.
I felt a bit dizzy for a while. and still had to walk about 5 kilometer because we were in the middle of nowhere.
I was fine, but needed a good rest for a day, because I was still feeling dizzy.
hope your brother and nephew are OK!

silkcushion Tue 02-Aug-11 16:31:45

thanks for your messages. Just spoken to my brother - he's got about 15 stings, been throughly checked - heart, blood pressure etc and is ok but in pain.

my nephew has been given morphine as he has upwards of 30 stings over his head, neck, face and back. They've not been told anything else at the moment but he seems to be a lot calmer and has been moved on to the paediatric ward

My brother feels like it was a lucky escape. He said he slipped on the riverbed, knocked into an overhanging branch and suddenly a huge swarm of wasps appeared and came straight at him. Unfortunately as he ducked they then descended on my nephew. DB turned when he heard his son screaming and couldn't see his face because he was in a cloud of wasps. He grabbed him and thrust him under the water to get them off. He said it was like a scene out of a horror movie.

They both seem absolutely traumatised tbh but hopefully my nephew will be ok. Google items seemed to suggest the ill effects of that much venom on a small child could take hours to become clear - hope that's not the case

kingprawntikka Tue 02-Aug-11 16:35:47

I'm glad your brother is ok, At least your little nephew is in the right place. and the morphine will help with his pain/shock. They were fortunate to be close enough to get him to hospital so quickly. Keep us updated as to how he gets on.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 02-Aug-11 16:45:36

your brother is a bit of a hero smile

BerryLellow Tue 02-Aug-11 18:58:02

I'd stay away from Google for now if I were you smile

PirateDinosaur Tue 02-Aug-11 19:16:52

That will be why they've kept him in. Whatever the effects turn out to be, he's in hospital where they can deal with it.

silkcushion Tue 02-Aug-11 19:43:59

My DB is a police sergeant so possibly better equipped than an average person to deal with a crisis situation. Having said that I don't believe any parent would think twice of diving in to save their child.
Even my mum , who's 69 now, was picking live wasps out of my nephew's hair with her bare hands whilst on their way to hospital.

Good advice re Google - sometimes helpful but always terrifying

VivaLeBeaver Tue 02-Aug-11 19:54:49

He will be well looked after, he will have been given strong anti histamines and there is adrenaline there if needed. If he's had morphine he'll need to stay in because he's had that as well as for general observation.

franke Tue 02-Aug-11 22:55:46

omg I saw this earlier but didn't post because I had no advice at all. How absolutely horrific. Poor little boy - I hope he's okay.

RollingInTheAisles Tue 02-Aug-11 23:03:29

Poor little boy and must have been horrifying for his dad. Hope they're feeling better.

CointreauVersial Tue 02-Aug-11 23:07:15

OMG, my worst nightmare. Hope your nephew recovers OK, I'm sure he will.

There is a wasp's nest just above DD2's bedroom window; that reminds me I must deal with it soon.

ibbydibby Tue 02-Aug-11 23:14:12

Any more news? Have been thinking of this all evening, mainly because DS1 was stung twice today, and is in an awful lot of pain. He is 14, and doesn't usually complain much.

hellymelly Tue 02-Aug-11 23:17:04

Really hope he is ok.My Aunt was stung by a swarm of bees when she was young,she disturbed a nest by accident.She was quite unwell but recovered completely ( although she was very frightened of bees!) I live in dread of something like this happening when I'm with my dds.I am allergic to wasp stings and so couldn't help them without risking death,I have nightmares about it.

hellymelly Tue 02-Aug-11 23:19:08

By the way ibbydibby,wasps can carry a huge bacterial load in their sting sacs,sometimes this can make glands come up and can also cause infections,if your DS's stings are still painfull tomorrow get him to the GP as he might need anti-biotics. Also try piriton now if you have any.

Nomdujour Tue 02-Aug-11 23:20:14

Hi, this happened to my friend when we were kids. I saw her being chased by the swarm and it has stayed with me for life, very upsetting sad

My friend was absolutely fine after being treated in hospital, however like Gilbonzo's brother she developed an allergy and had to carry an epi pen.

I flipping hate wasps angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now