Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Insomnia, please help

(15 Posts)
nojustificationneeded Tue 02-Aug-11 05:12:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gemitygem Tue 02-Aug-11 06:38:39

I too suffer sometimes, its awful. I am taking nitol herbal at the mo and its a bit better. You are not alone, sleep problems are horrible.
Try remembering that every night is not the same, read a good book prehaps just except that you can't sleep at the moment and don't expect to sleep.

sedgiebaby Tue 02-Aug-11 14:17:22

After 10+ years of insomnia, just as you describe...I discovered 5-htp which is a herbal supplement. Not on it now as BF but I recommend it to everyone. Way too expensive at Holland and Barret, I think I used Puritans Pride purchased online.

topsi Tue 02-Aug-11 18:28:30

5 Htp, St Johns Wort, Tryptophan, Melatonin are all supplements that can help. Are you stressed or depressed as insomnia is related to these conditions.
Eating certain things before bed can help, bananas, poultry, brazil or walnuts, porridge (?sp), lettuice. Try a turkey sandwhich with poridge and banana for afters with a few nuts, it really can help improve the quality of your sleep.
Also no alcohol or caffine and go to bed at the same time each night and try not to nap in the day.
A last resort try the tablets. You dont have to take them every night just occasionally when you are desparate.
Sending good sleep vibes your way for tonight.

bran Tue 02-Aug-11 18:55:01

nojustificationneeded Tue 02-Aug-11 18:57:04

nojustificationneeded Tue 02-Aug-11 18:58:33

hiddenhome Tue 02-Aug-11 19:01:07

I take Passiflora and Valerian.

Hops tea made from the dried hops that you buy from home brewing places is great. It knocks you right out smile

A magnesium/calcium supplement at bedtime is also good because they're both relaxants.

nojustificationneeded Tue 02-Aug-11 19:50:01

Bumperlicious Tue 02-Aug-11 20:05:54

St Stuart's valerian plus tea
Rescue remedy night time spray
Listening to something v familiar on my iPod
An eye mask

These are all things that I use, which are probably just psychosomatic but part of my routine now. Two things I know work: going to bed later rather than earlier. There was a BBC documentary on sleep last year which essentially said the same thing. Go to bed late each night and eventually you just get so tired you sleep. The problem is made worse by trying to 'catch up' on sleep at random times of day. Second thing is sometimes just to try a few days of sleeping tablets just to break the cycle.

I do sympathise. Hope you feel better soon.

sedgiebaby Wed 03-Aug-11 08:15:26

Hi Bran, I don't have much time at the moment, but are you kind of stressy/a worrier/high energy and do you have difficulty switching off? If so, that's been my problem and I may have a couple more suggestions for you.

sedgiebaby Wed 03-Aug-11 08:16:47

sorry - comment for the OP nojustification

Bumperlicious Wed 03-Aug-11 20:26:37

Dr Stuart's tea blush

nojustificationneeded Thu 04-Aug-11 10:07:11

sedgiebaby Thu 04-Aug-11 16:35:20

Hi, I can highly recommend 'The Worry Cure' by Robert Leahy if you find worries/concerns and anxieties are going around in your head - really helped me get a grip on this and quiet my mind. The basis is cognitive behavioral therapy but its all quite realistic and practical in its advice. You mention PTSD, have you been offered CBT through the NHS, it is sometimes available.

The insomnia might be a kind of 'agitated' depression. Instead of getting demotivated and tired and low as you might expect with depression, I would just get more energised and wired and struggle to switch off - ever. If this is you too the 5htp may work but St Johns Wort suggestion may not. A Chinese Herbalist advised that for me that this herb would only 'rev' me up more rather than be calming and so sleep inducing. The 5htp you would not want to take if you are already on any anti depressants. Do read up on it before trying it.

At one point in my life due to a situation related harassment at work I suffered from both insomnia and the most terrible tension headaches that would not respond to pain killers - I was prescribed a tiny dose of amitriptyline (often given for 'unexplained' pains) and I slept like a baby. The dr said I could stay on it for as long as I wanted it is not addictive etc...I didn't as I wanted to get pregnant but at the time I thought it was a wonder drug!! However 5htp is really worth a look.

This is all based on my own experience, I'm no expert but I hope it is helpful to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now