Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any sure-fire constipation-reversal tips please?? [blush]

(58 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Mon 01-Aug-11 14:14:14

I've tried and am continuing to try: espresso coffee, avocados, kiwi fruit, bran flakes, orange juice. It's still not resolving (at least not properly IYSWIM blush again!!) Any other foods etc I could try before I have to resort to Senokot? Would rather resolve it naturally if poss!!

Dogsby Mon 01-Aug-11 14:14:40

aubergine
crieky yes

Guildenstern Mon 01-Aug-11 14:14:46

Fig rolls
Porridge

Dogsby Mon 01-Aug-11 14:15:50

those delicious Agen prunes from marks
SO SWEET

emeraldgirl1 Mon 01-Aug-11 14:16:39

aubergine... interesting!!! I will try it, though it occurs to me that I have also tried curry (on Sat) and had a lot of aubergine then which didn't seem to help much... But thank u!! Fig rolls - perfect suggestion smile

BeerTricksPotter Mon 01-Aug-11 14:16:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

emeraldgirl1 Mon 01-Aug-11 14:17:10

Oooh, yes, I know the prunes you mean dogsby - they are very nice

Dogsby Mon 01-Aug-11 14:17:38

bastards are fattenind though too - so good thing are lxzative

emeraldgirl1 Mon 01-Aug-11 14:17:58

BeerTricks I have tried pumpkin seed but not linseed - will try linseed tomorrow. Do pumpkin seeds help at all do you know? If so will go and eat some more now!

BeerTricksPotter Mon 01-Aug-11 14:19:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

krisskross Mon 01-Aug-11 14:26:46

prune juice
but go easy at first, results can be dramatic!......

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 01-Aug-11 14:29:55

Really, if you've tried all that already, I'd just reach for the lactulose. Or prune juice. Don't suffer needlessly, OP!

Imnotaslimjim Mon 01-Aug-11 14:31:56

how long is it since you've been? Would a suppository have better results? Go see a chemist, they'll have heard it all before

aliceliddell Mon 01-Aug-11 14:36:58

Linseeds - oh, yes.

emeraldgirl1 Mon 01-Aug-11 14:47:05

Imnotaslimjim - without being too graphic (i hope) - its' not that I haven't 'been' it's that my usual cheerful one or two movements a day have become much less - er - effective. incomplete movements, I suppose you'd call it. not nothing just much smaller and more difficult to pass

lovecat Mon 01-Aug-11 14:57:39

Go into a bookshop and start browsing, having first made sure that there is a public loo in staggering distance.

If you're anything like me, it's positively Pavlovian...

CaptainNancy Mon 01-Aug-11 15:00:10

prune juice or cranberry juice work on my son.... very quickly.

glastochick Mon 01-Aug-11 15:03:36

For babies, the old remedy is 1 teaspoon of demerara sugar in 2 fl oz of water (and it works!). I guess for adults you'd increase that, but by how much I daren't hazard a guess.

The way it works is to draw water into the colon to soften the stool, rather than making you go which is what senokot does (which can also be painful if you don't combine it with some form of stool softener)

Good luck!

AncientsOfMuMu Mon 01-Aug-11 15:06:39

Linseed on cereal usually effective here, as is browsing around bookshops.

But why bookshops? Anyway, glad I'm not the only one. grin

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Mon 01-Aug-11 15:07:53

Whatever you use you need to keep it going for a week or so, as it takes time for everything to get back to working as it should. Proper old fashioned lemonade is good - lemon juice, brown sugar and water.

nightcat Mon 01-Aug-11 15:12:56

lovecat, me too smile how can THAT be explained I wonder??

otherwise another vote for linseeds and less what

mollymole Mon 01-Aug-11 15:14:56

fig rolls/liquorice/ grapes and a peg for the nose !!

campocaro Mon 01-Aug-11 15:21:54

Fresh Figs
Patience

catx2 Mon 01-Aug-11 17:04:47

Hi.

Linseed is really good for constipation but you must make sure you drink extra water when taking it as otherwise it can just make you more constipated. Also make sure you chew the seeds or preferably get ground linseed as the whole ones just pass through your body.

KurriKurri Mon 01-Aug-11 17:19:33

dried apricots work for me and as cat says, plenty of water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now