Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Benign Positional Vertigo - how long did yours last?

(8 Posts)
DottyDot Mon 01-Aug-11 09:29:17

I've had this for a couple of weeks now - went to the GP last week and he said it might last a few more weeks... The really bad dizzyness seems to have stopped but I'm left with a weird feeling of being kind of disconnected somehow - and feeling like I'm on a boat??

This probably doesn't make any sense at all but if anyone else has had this and can let me know they got rid of it pronto that would be great - I'm off with ds's from this Thursday and could do with being 100% to look after the little horrors darlings.

daytoday Mon 01-Aug-11 10:16:43

Ooooh I get this. Have had it on and off for years (decades)! I haven't had a bad bout for about 4 years now. I get it when I'm run down/stressed/very tired. Did you GP give you any exercises for it? They really help if you do them in the morning. They help your brain adjust.

Also, travel sickness tablets are fantastic. My GP prescribed some which I take. Longest I've had it for is about 1 month.

Did you gp give you any antibiotics just to check it isn't an inner ear infection.

I totally relate to the disorientated sensatation -its so hard isn't it. But it will pass.

DottyDot Mon 01-Aug-11 10:36:09

aww - thanks daytoday and sorry you've kept getting it. Yes, GP checked for inner ear infection - couldn't see anything so has put it down to BPV. He says if I'm still getting it in September to go back and he'll do those head movements (can't remember the name for them) but no, he didn't give me any to do. I think I've probably got it quite mildly to be honest so he didn't prescribe me any tablets as I said I was managing fine with it, which I am - it's just a really odd sensation. Very glad the horrible dizzyness has stopped (fingers crossed) - the whole room spinning thing was not good at all...

Having a day off sick today at home, but then really need to go to work tomorrow and Wednesday as I'm off for a week and a half after that!

alice15 Tue 02-Aug-11 13:43:44

I've had it twice (so far); the first time it got better in about 10 days, the second time it was very dependent on what position my head was in, and luckily the position was one that I didn't get my head into unless I was lying down and turned a certain way, so it wasn't much of a problem, which was just as well as it took well over 6 months to go away completely that time - it did improve a lot within the first few weeks, though.

milkjetmum Tue 02-Aug-11 21:46:21

Hi Dottydot - do not wait until september! The epley manoevre is fairly simple and with a friends help you can probably do this yourself (lots of info online). My DH helped me with this and it really helped my symptoms (it felt different the day after, then gradually eased off).

epley manoevre guide

BBwannaB Thu 04-Aug-11 21:41:18

I had severe vertigo about 5 years ago and took stugeron for the sea-sickness. I did not respond to the manipulation and had to 'retrain' my brain to deal with the incorrect balance messages. This involved purposely walking on uneven ground eg gravel, country paths etc daily, and practice balancing on one leg then another. It took about 3 months to improve and then many more months to feel normal. I am fine now, but still get 'wavey' (probably the same as your disconnected) if I am ill or run down and my general balance is not as good as other people's, eg I could never stand on a chair to get something from a high shelf.
Don't want to sound negative as it really rarely affects my life, but it is always with me IYSWIM
I hope you feel better soon Dotty.

wolfbrother Fri 05-Aug-11 11:06:43

If you google "brandt daroff exercises" you will find a series of easy exercises to do which will help.

DottyDot Fri 05-Aug-11 11:50:34

thanks all for the posts - I'm feeling much better so fingers crossed it's definitely going/gone! Will have a look at the exercises though and get myself down to the GP sooner if it re-occurs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now