Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How Long after birth birth did your period return? Getting a bit worried....

(19 Posts)
myHazelnut Sun 31-Jul-11 21:37:58

Hi all,

I'm new so please bear with my if I am posting in the wrong place etc.

My little girl was 9 months old last week and I STILL haven't had a period following her birth. I am still breastfeeding which I know can delay it but I thought that was only for a few months? I know a lot of ladies through my surestart centre who have babies of similar ages and are still breastfeeding and seemed really surprised that mine hadn't returned yet?

Is this normal or should I consider talking to the GP or health Visitor?

GREAT site by the way - don't know why I haven't been here before!

Tidypidy Sun 31-Jul-11 21:51:19

Hello hazelnut, my period returned at 8 months with my first born and at 11 months with my second, breastfed first to 11 months and 2nd to 2yrs, not sure it makes a big difference to be honest! We're all different aren't we! I'd just enjoy not having periods if I was you, unless you're pregnant . . .

SurprisEs Sun 31-Jul-11 21:53:37

My daughter was 13 months when I stopped BF. I think she was 10 months when my first period came.

GetThePartyStarted Sun 31-Jul-11 21:55:17

I think the average if you breastfeed exclusively is around 15-17 months. I was 17 months and when I mentioned it to the GP previously they weren't bothered at all!

myHazelnut Sun 31-Jul-11 21:56:23

Thanks for your reply!

No I'm not pregnant (not ready for all that again!) :D

I am very much enjoying not having periods too! It sounds like 9 months isn't too soon to worry with your experience and I'm saving a fortune in tampons!

ensure Sun 31-Jul-11 21:56:41

Over 2 and a half years for me.

I went to the doctor after a year and a half, he said some women don't start periods again til they stop breastfeeding altogether and not to worry.

cleanandclothed Sun 31-Jul-11 21:58:55

It was 13 months for me, I was still breastfeeding, and didn't get back to normal until around 18 months.

hellymelly Sun 31-Jul-11 22:00:15

12 months for me,same with both babies,and I have known it be longer than that for some people.

MrsPlesWearsAFez Sun 31-Jul-11 22:00:45

18 months

Esian Sun 31-Jul-11 22:01:10

I'm 7 months and counting....

It's great grin

LCRLCR Sun 31-Jul-11 22:03:58

I exclusively bf DD who is 11 months - periods returned last month sad

acatcalledfelix Sun 31-Jul-11 22:08:00

5 sodding WEEKS for me, I was not pleased! It's normal, so make the most of it whilst it lasts grin

MissMarjoribanks Sun 31-Jul-11 22:12:57

9 months till I got my first one. It was exactly 4 weeks after DS had dropped to morning and night feeds only. Unfortunately, they haven't been quite as regular since - I still don't feel back to normal and DS is 20mo.

PirateDinosaur Sun 31-Jul-11 22:13:57

First time, 9 months. Second time, 13 months (both around the time I went back to work as I was off longer second time round). Third time, still counting at 5 months and hoping/expecting not for a while.

SusiaX Sun 31-Jul-11 22:21:14

I was disappointed when mine returned at 8 months with DD – I thought I was safe until I stopped feeding altogether. DS has just turned 8 months and I've definitely been feeling a bit premenstrual so expecting a visit any time soon sad.

Haudyerwheesht Sun 31-Jul-11 22:23:38

Ds : 9 months
Dd: 3 months (was gutted)

EmLH Sun 31-Jul-11 22:26:39

Mine came back this week at 22 months! Was also starting to wonder where it was but didn't mind the break! Still feeding but only at night. Must've reduced enough for my body to start going back to normal. Seems to be a very individual thing.

goodasgold Sun 31-Jul-11 22:29:54

DD1 9mths
DD2 14mths
DS1 16mths

All were bf for the same til about 20 mths.

Not having to deal with little babies and periods is good in my books.

MatthewWrightOffTheTelly Sun 31-Jul-11 22:32:15

DD c.10 months (still BF but not in the night)
DS 13 months. 2 days after I stopped BF

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now