Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

In menorca with ds who has temp

(10 Posts)
mummynumnum Sat 30-Jul-11 22:31:24

Ds 18mths has developed temp this eve on day 4 of hol. Has teeth coming but sounds snuffly. Temp 38.5 and calp/ib have brought it down earlier. Had calpol 3/4 hour ago. Could have some ib but is asleep. Should I wake? Am in a Thomson hotel? What is best thing to do if it gets worse???

Personally I wouldn't wake him unless his temp started to spike dangerously. I'd let him sleep, keep an eye on his temp whilst he's asleep and take it from there. If he gets worse, you should be able to take him to a local hospital if you've got the E111 or whatever it's called these days. You could speak to the Thomson reps and ask their advice. They're bound to have dealt with similar before.

mummynumnum Sat 30-Jul-11 22:42:43

Oh crap I did not get e11. Meant to on day b4 left but 4got. Got travel insurance-will that be ok?

BelladiMamma Sat 30-Jul-11 22:43:23

Hi
I am not a doctor and I think if you are worried that he is seriously ill you should contact reception / staff now.
However, if you are happy that he is not getting worse, this is how we have coped with sick DC's away from home:
Make sure you are sleeping in same room as little one
Make sure that he is comfortable temp in his bed - light covers and pjs, fresh nappy
Prepare yourself for a night which might include vomiting and or higher temp, so set out sick bowl, towels, wipes, all medication, water, cuddly etc
Take it in turns to wake and check his temp every 45 mins
If no better in the morning ask to see doctor, you should be covered on EHIC card for medical care
HTH

PurveyorOfBaloney Sat 30-Jul-11 22:47:08

Pity about the EHIC, otherwise you can get treatment at hospital/local GP free at source - we had to do this recently with DS, which included x-rays, which would have been expensive

However when we were in a similar situation with DD, despite having the EHIC we chose to see a private doctor that the hotel recommended, it meant we had to pay up front, however we were able to claim it all back on travel insurance (keep ALL receipts).

rubyrubyruby Sat 30-Jul-11 22:47:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DrPolidori Sat 30-Jul-11 22:50:03

I do know that the Spanish Health service is excellent. If you a an EU national and did the paperwork before hand, then it will all be covered. If you have insurance it will all be covered.

DO use the hotel staff if you are at all worried. Your child will get excellent care.

BelladiMamma Sat 30-Jul-11 22:50:55

Sorry x post

Sidge Sat 30-Jul-11 22:56:16

38.5 not frighteningly high, especially if responding to calpol/ibuprofen.

Keep him cool (no clothes, loose light covers and ceiling fan/window open for fresh air).

Lots of fluids when he wakes.

Sleep nearby and watch out for change in breathing, skin, responsiveness.

Tepid sponging not recommended but a cool flannel on the forehead can be nice and cooling.

Ask hotel for local doctor in the morning if not well or worse.

Twosugarsplease Sat 30-Jul-11 23:09:59

Hi mnn. Try not to worry, been there with my two, they are teenagers now. You did the right thing with calpol, if your dc wakes a cool face cloth stroked across forehead will help and a good sense of humour ! However you feel, what ever the time, lol.. If temp doesn't go down and poor dc still suffering try neorofen... ( as long as not asthmatic ) just seemed to work better. I also have a 23 mo now, so going through this myself. If your really not sure, Thompson should be very supportive and arrange a dr to call out to you, by ringing reception. The dr will simply just call to your room. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now