Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Changes to menstrual cycle - baffled

(7 Posts)
TanyaBranning Sat 30-Jul-11 14:41:51

My periods have become really weird this year. They fluctuate between very short (24 days) for a few months and then suddenly longer (34 days), and are extremely heavy for 2 or 3 days (have to change a tampon and heavy duty sanitary towel every 1-2 hours) and then disappear, but I then get tiny annoying bits of brown spotting for a week afterwards.

I had my last smear last year (was fine) and have had bloods and an internal recently (normal). GP has referred me for an ultrasound to rule out fibroids, but I had one late last year and it was fine, so they would had to have developed in the last few months.

I am 34 so pretty sure its not the menopause! Any ideas as to what is going on?

TanyaBranning Sat 30-Jul-11 14:42:16

should say my cycle fluctuates 24-34 days

ihatethecold Sun 31-Jul-11 12:10:43

they sound just like mine. i was given ,methonemic acid (sp)to help. i had lots of pain with mine. like labour pains at times.
i wonder if my age is part of the reason? im 37.
havent helped you i know . maybe someone else will have advice

orangeflutie Sun 31-Jul-11 20:15:16

Sounds like you may have endometriosis as your periods sound like mine used to be about 18 months ago.

It often doesn't show up on a scan so can be missed. You may need to talk to your doctor and get a referral to a gynaecologist.

Katisha Sun 31-Jul-11 20:17:54

You haven't lost a significant amount of weight recently? I found being on a diet really affected the regularity.

melodyangel Sat 06-Aug-11 01:17:35

My periods have changed over the last few months too. Always been heavy and about 26 days apart but now 21 days apart, spotting for a few days before then super heavy for two days (need to change tampons each hour) then settle down and stop on day 6/7. I'm 36.

Any ideas anyone? Should I go to the doctors. I hate going. Bad experiences, infact have only gone when expecting.

Hope things are getting sorted for you OP.

RockyRaccoon Sat 06-Aug-11 01:37:11

Mind have gone a bit weird too, I've started having long and short cycles when they've always been extremely regular. They're not any heavier though. I'm 35 so it could be an age thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now