Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Night sweats 7 months after childbirth

(8 Posts)
BagofHolly Fri 29-Jul-11 08:54:20

im loathed to see the doctor about it and don't know if it can be treated but every night I'm plagued by night sweats. I wake up soaking! I've got a thinner duvet and even bought an aircon machine but it's not helping.

I gave birth 7 months ago and had a huge (3 litre) bleed which I know can do things to the pituitary gland. I was transfused though.

I'm 40, regular cycle and it's only at night. My mum said "it's the change."

pippop1 Fri 29-Jul-11 17:02:40

I think you should go to your GP and explain the problem. They should test your hormone levels and perhaps some other potential problems.

Mum's don't always know best.

mrsravelstein Fri 29-Jul-11 17:08:13

poor you, i had them for months and months while i was b/feeding but stopped i think around the 7 month point. i found acupuncture very helpful with it.

CMOTdibbler Fri 29-Jul-11 17:11:16

You should get it checked out by your GP, but I have a friend who has terrible hormone related night sweats. Shes had them 3 times when breastfeeding and stopping, and now when she's in perimenopause

lisad123 Sat 30-Jul-11 23:03:10

please go to gp, or see above thread about night sweats

anonymum11 Sat 30-Jul-11 23:11:11

I started with night sweats several months after dd was born. I put it down to a side effect of the anti-depressants I was on as it's a common side effect. But then I noticed it didn't happen when I went to visit my parents, or when I got ill, and realised sleep was a common factor. I've made an effort to get more sleep at night and they've pretty much stopped now, but could be all in the mind(!)

BagofHolly Sat 30-Jul-11 23:11:46

Cheers I'll go and see them next week. So [breaks all rules and asks for Internet diagnosis] d'ya think it's The Change, as my mum calls it?

SparkleRainbow Sun 31-Jul-11 08:22:16

I had night sweats for months after each of my three dc, my gp told me is was part of the natural process for rebalancing the body with fluids, and hormones. Mine stopped some months after I stopped producing milk, and I am not menopausal at all, in fact in my family women don't enter the menpause until their 60's......groan such a lot of periods to do until then, another 20 years. I would say go to GP get checked out, and no you are not menopausal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now