Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

PSORIATIC ARTHRITIS

(10 Posts)
Hulababy Fri 29-Jul-11 08:11:52

Having just been dx with this, several years after first getting scalp psorasis in my teens, I have been searching here to see what information is out there. I noticed there are some other mnetters with PA and some with partners who have it too.

But lots of the threads are really old now.

Wondered if there were others out there who might want to share their findings or anything that has helped, or even what to expect next.

This has been my first flare up of PA so it is all new to me, and with being due to fly out to Florida for a fortnight of roller coasters and theme parks I have to admit that the last 3 oor 4 weeks of pain and aches and limited mobility in my knee has been a tad stressful! But I set off today and my pain is controlled via steroids and the swelling is down, so fingers crossed.

So, are there others out there who can tell us more or simply share stoories and treatment successes?

DeathOrCake Fri 29-Jul-11 08:28:59

My mum has recently been diagnosed with this, so whilst unfortunately I have no advice, I shall keep an eye on this thread!

The only thing that stands out is a possible link between vitamin D deficiency and PA. My mum now takes a liquid supplement (there is a national shortage of the vaccine). Her consultant is very good, and prescribed this saying it would help.

I hope you have a lovely holiday!

Hulababy Fri 29-Jul-11 08:50:22

I am trying to do lots at the moment regarding the actual psorasis. After years of using scalp preparations and lotions that never work I am trying some other stuff I have read or been told about.

So, over the last month or so I have been trying:
* dairy free
* aloe vera juice - I take 25ml twice a day

I have to say that I have noticed a dramatic change in my scalp psorasis since doing the above. So I am conointuing with them for now as much as possible, although on holiday it may be harder.

I also intend wearing my hair tied up all holiday and getting as much light and UV to my scalp as I can to see if that helps.

As for the arthritis side of things I am short term taking steroids to get me through my holiday and have had a steroid injection under my knee earlier this week. Longer term medication should start after I get home.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 29-Jul-11 10:27:35

Hula - you may find this forum quite a good place to explore some of the issues.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 29-Jul-11 10:42:49

Found this document for you smile

Hulababy Fri 29-Jul-11 10:44:36

Thank you smile

shitmagnet Fri 29-Jul-11 12:58:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Putthatbookdown Sat 30-Jul-11 10:33:09

Best place: St John's Institute of Dermatology -experts

shitmagnet Sun 31-Jul-11 01:24:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hulababy Tue 20-Sep-11 22:21:13

Latest update.

I had an appointment with the rhuematology consultant yesterday. The MRI, xrays and bloods are all fine. All signs suggest psoriatic arthirtis so that is what they are now treating.

Although the steroids have been doing their job they were only ever a short term soloution. I have been on a reduced dose anyway but now have a gradual withdrawl process. It takes about 3 months as has to be done very gradual. Not looking forward to that in some ways as on the reduced dose I get a fair bit of pain in my knee and neck, so this may increase again.

But i am also starting a long term course of DMARDs drugs which as designed to try and tackle the actual arthritis itself so hoepfully they will kick in. I start on a half dose for the first two weeks and then full dose after that.

I am also being referred to a physio for the neck pain, and all being well a dietician to have a look at the dairy thing.

So, fingers crossed the collection of meds all start working well together and I become pain free again for a while at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now