Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Large freeze burn on leg -wwyd?

(5 Posts)
dwpanxt Thu 28-Jul-11 21:58:33

A friend at work has had a silly accident with a table falling on his leg -you know, the kind of fall that slides down the leg taking skin off.

So its all down the side of his shin -sore and bruised. He goes home and his wife put 2 TWO bags of frozen peas on the injury and makes him keep them there all evening.

So he ends up with quite a large freeze burn and it is taking some time to heal. Im talking several weeks.

I quizzed him about how he was treating the injury and it turns out he is slathering savlon cream all over the injury and then wrapping it up tightly in bandages.

He said he had to do that as the weeping soaked through his trouser legs.

I told him to stop this treatment and to simply leave the (clean) skin open to the air and to lightly cover only when necessary. He did this last night and found the surface had actually dried up quite a bit .

I dont want to harm him further than he has already harmed himself so I need more help here.

What else can I suggest .

For information he is a grumpy 62 year old and has very definite ideas about all things. The fact that he listened to me in the first place though shows how painful it must be.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 29-Jul-11 07:53:36

He needs to get it seen!!! oozing after several weeks is Not Good.

Paschaelina Fri 29-Jul-11 08:03:04

Tell him to see his gp practice nurse. They deal with wound care every day and he really doesn't want this to turn into an ulcer.

boxoftricks Fri 29-Jul-11 08:31:39

any burn bigger than the palm of your hand must be seen!!

dwpanxt Mon 01-Aug-11 18:14:35

Sorry-didnt get a chance to get back to the computer until now.

I did try to get him to go back to the doctors but he refused saying they didnt fix him before so no chance is he going back now. (told you he was grumpy)

But the good news is that he has followed the 'unwrapped' approach and reports that the healing process is under way and he has worn light coloured trousers this weekend for the first time in 6 months.

The area is about the size of 2 hands according to him -he hasn't shown me the damage yet. But seems that it is finally getting a chance to heal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now