Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Weirdest illness I've ever seen - anyone seen anything like it?

(8 Posts)
Ponka Thu 28-Jul-11 21:28:28

DS (7) is poorly. He started Sunday teatime with a stomach ache and vomiting. Monday morning he was right as rain. Positively bouncy all day, so I put it down to something he ate and thought he was better. Then again at about 5pm on Monday the stomach ache and sickness started.

Every day this week he is absolutely fine, like nothing happened. Every tea time he is throwing up, unable to eat his tea and asleep on the sofa. No fever though.

I thought it would pass but it's been 5 days now. I'm going to take him to the docs tomorrow but has anyone come across anything like it before?! It's so weird. It doesn't make any sense.

mymumdom Thu 28-Jul-11 21:33:32

I'd def have him to the doctor but I'm sure I've heard of something like this before.Maybe someone else will know more.

mymumdom Thu 28-Jul-11 21:39:41

Aha,here we go.
It's probably a bit early to leap in with a diagnosis like this yet, and I suspect your GP would want to do some tests first, but it's worth bearing in mind if it continues.

Ponka Thu 28-Jul-11 21:58:44

Oh that's very interesting. Thank you, mymumdom. I've never heard of that before.

It's one to keep in the back of my head but yes, I'm certainly not trying to attempt my own dodgy diagnosis of any sort. I'm just very curious. It's the weirdest thing.

DeWe Thu 28-Jul-11 22:14:13

Could he just be overdoing it rushing round during the day when he hasn't recovered, a bit like when you've been a bit sick eating a lot and bringing it all back again, whereas if you'd had a small meal you'd have been fine.

I always used to find I was worst first thing in the morning when I was ill, until I had glandular fever. I woke every morning thinking "I'm better! Great!" By lunch time I would be falling asleep over my work and by early evening my temperature would be hitting the roof and I'd be really bad again. Went on for several weeks because every morning I optimistically thought I was better before I want to the nurse.

One thing is where is the tummy ache? Is it always the same place, or is it moving. I initally thought of grumbling appendix, which one of my friends had when we were at school, and it used to really get her badly for a short time and then she'd recover suddenly, but it wasn't same times of day, and she used to get a fever, so I don't think it is. Sorry not to be more help.

Ponka Thu 28-Jul-11 22:27:16

Possibly could be a bog standard tummy bug but overdoing it then flagging, although I'm trying to rein him in and get him reading/playing games/TV/sitting down stuff but he has so much energy smile

I don't think the tummy ache is moving around in different places. I don't know. I'll have to check tomorrow. Thanks.

Fuddymunster Fri 29-Jul-11 12:24:28

DS now aged 11 had a similar thing when he was 5 and again when he was 7. Both times the Dr put it down to a virus. He was sick every evening for a week to 10 days and fairly ok in the day. Weird. Hope it clears up soon and try not to worry too much.

jjazz Fri 29-Jul-11 21:51:16

My DD had this whilst I/we were on honeymoon- (second marriage and my inlaws brought her out so we could all be together for second half of the holiday.)Same as your DS -every time we sat down for evening meal she puked- I assumed some massive psycological issues were afoot and was really worried and tried to get her to talk to me etc. Turned out she had slap cheek- she spiked a temperature after a day or so and after a mildish viral type illness recovered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now