Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Diarhoea after antibiotics

(7 Posts)
Bearcat Thu 28-Jul-11 19:17:55

Have had 2 lots of antibiotics recently for a skin infection.
The second lot were Augmentin 625.
I finished taking them a week ago, after taking 3 tablets a day for a week.
After 2 days of taking them I had diarhoea which has carried on and have now had it for about 12 days, probably going 3-4 times a day.
I feel very well really, except for the occasional stomach pain.
Have had one day off work when I had a very bad stomach pain and broke into a cold sweat.
Sometimes my bowels are very gluggy and noisy (to me) usually just before I go to loo.
Have started drinking an Actimel in the mornings.
Does anyone have any idea how long this might go on for?
DH wanted me to go back to doctors but too busy today, my day off and back at work tomorrow. Am just hoping things will sort themselves out.

Dylthan Thu 28-Jul-11 20:00:14

I would go and see a doctor. Diarrheoa caused by antibiotics can be quite serious. It is probably nothing but better to get it checked out.

aliceliddell Thu 28-Jul-11 20:04:33

It could be because you've killed off your friendly bacteria. Activia, Yakult, live yogurt might help, or try health food shop supplement capsules.

Ivortheengine8 Thu 28-Jul-11 20:07:19

The antibiotics might not work either now, so you might have to start the course again.

nickinoo Fri 29-Jul-11 10:51:01

Im having this too although not as long or severe as you. I have had a 7 day (3 a day) course of amoxycillin and the day after I finished it I had really bad diarohea all day and now I am on day 2 of the same. I am going to try the live yoghurt suggestion.

Me being an idiot googled it and am now convinced I have CDiff. Going to see how I go over the weekend. OP, hope you feel better soon.

nightcat Fri 29-Jul-11 22:12:33

I would take a good probiotic (multi-strain). Also, has infection gone? As it could be fungal and a/bs won't work on that.

Bearcat Sat 30-Jul-11 21:33:23

Thanks for all your replies.
I do feel well, but it is still going on.
Have to admit Nickinoo, after googling I wondered about CDiff too, but am probably too well for that.
Will go to docs on Thurs my day off if its still going on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now