Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

high grade pre cancerous cells

(7 Posts)
thisiswataluv Thu 28-Jul-11 19:17:33

just had a colposcopy today and was told i have this sad
anyone else had this?
had a small biopsy done and need to wait 4 weeks 4 results ...
im petrified sad

northernmonkey Thu 28-Jul-11 19:48:10

I had this. Was given a letts(not sure what the acronym means, you'll find it on google)
Went back 6 monthly for smear tests and they've all come back clear since so now on yearly.

I was scared to death I have to admit, but everything is ok now smile

Good luck

BelaLugosiinStripes Thu 28-Jul-11 22:47:08

Hello
If you search for loop or LLETZ* or colposcopy on here then you'll find there's a few women about who've had treatment for pre-cancerous changes.
Its actually quite common with about 1.5% of cervical screening tests show high grade changes (that's about 50,000 women a year).
Places to get information include the colposcopists' website and Jo's trust which includes a forum. It was started to support women and their families with cervical cancer and also has quite a few women with pre-cancerous changes here

Pre-cancerous changes are very treatable so best wishes

*nothernmonkey its LLETZ or LEEP which refers to the method of treatment used.

Kewcumber Thu 28-Jul-11 23:04:38

pre-cancerous means just that - NOT cancerous. There is a chance they may at some point become cancerous and as a precaution are removed.

I had CIN3 cells which they were unable to treat with colposcopy/loop and had to go for a cone biopsy (surface of cervix surgically removed).

That was probably 10 years ago now and although I have to have annual smear tests, I've never had a recurrance (and tbh if I had they would have just treated it again).

I know it sounds scary (I do remember) but arm yourself with FACTS not fears.

Meglet Thu 28-Jul-11 23:04:54

Yes, I'm sure that's what I had in 2004. CIN3 or carcinoma in situ IIRC. I had a LLETZ treatment within 6 weeks (quite a big chunk was taken out) then after a follow up colposcopy 3 months later I had another LLETZ as my consultant didn't think they'd quite cleared the whole area.

All ok for the next 5 years, 2 dc's by c-section as my cervix was too scarred to dilate. Another dodgy smear in 2009 so we went for a hysterectomy as I was done with having kids.

You're in the system now so they'll look after you. It's terrifying (I was sure I was going to die all those years ago) but stick to your apts, let them know of any changes and chase them up if results take too long or you're waiting for apts longer than expected.

I did end up with some diazepam tablets at the time as I was climbing the walls with worry.

((Hugs)) I'm sure you'll be fine and its all sorted out in one hit.

thisiswataluv Fri 29-Jul-11 08:08:39

thanks for replies, i have 3 children which is making it worse thinking i may develop cancer at some time... i already have anxiety problems, this is making me worse sad
i spent last night crying ..my husband come with me and he said doctor sounded really positive...im 28 and really thinking of asking for a hysterectomy..not sure if they would give me one though ..

mel2005 Fri 29-Jul-11 08:45:19

i had this a few weeks ago, i had what looked like 3 lumps removed, i found out last week that one lump was pre-cancerous and two were actually cancer. they think they have removed the cancer but the edges were still precancerous so i have to go back to check they got it all. only 2800 women a year are diagnosed with cervical cancer out of the 50000+ that have abnormal smears. i have hashimotos which is an autoimmune disease so she said i cant fight it off as well as someone with a normal immune system which is probably why mine was already cancerous, i also have multiples/multiple pregnancies which for some reason affects it. anyway even though my results were confirming cancer, they have hopefully caught it early and they dont think it spread. i was devistated but it could have been alot worse and i have had my children now so having a hysterectomy wouldnt affect me as much as a woman without children. if i dont have any more cancer at the next appointment in a few weeks, i believe i am just going to be monitored for the next 5 years. when i was called to make an appointment to talk about my results last week i was thinking chemo/dying etc but after speaking to them i felt so much better as they have removed it and i hopefully will not need and major treatment at all.
i was on my own when i had the LLETZ treatment and from how she was behaving i did suspect it wasnt good, if your DH felt the dr was positive i would take that as a good sign and just remember if there were some cancerous cells there (and remember they rarely find cancerous cells), they will have been removed and that will probably be that. and like meglet said you are in the system now and they will take good care of you.
i know how you feel about your children i have four aged 6y, 5y and 2.5y old twins, stay positive and take no news as good news, i was contacted a week after my treatment about the results and they said it would take 4 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now