Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD sunburn - should I get it checked?

(5 Posts)
spudinvasion Wed 27-Jul-11 20:19:20

I am probably going to get flamed but anyway....

DD (13) went to the beach on Monday and got horrible sun burn on her back. DH slathered her in cream before she left but she did that silly thing where they thought the sun had gone in, went in the sea for a bit and didn't put anymore cream on.

Yesterday it was hot and sore, no bisters, so I have been putting aloe gel on it and giving her ibuprofen. She is well, no sign of sun stroke or anything.

However, today I came home from work and she was in quite a lot of pain (unsurprisingly). And now she has blisters. They are about the size of a 2p piece and there are about 5 of them.

I seem to have lost the ability to judge what to do. I spoke to a friend who was an A&E nurse, she said just keep applying the gel and keep an eye for any sign of infection.

Do you think that's good advice? I am dithering about, DD is miserable and above all I feel horribly guilty that this has happened.

CarrieOakey Wed 27-Jul-11 20:23:22

I'm not sure what a GP would do if they were to examine her except say the same thing as your friend has said. Sounds painful sad

hellhasnofury Wed 27-Jul-11 20:48:49

Have you given her paracetamol for the pain?

spudinvasion Wed 27-Jul-11 20:52:00

Yes, paracetamol and ibuprofen alternating.
Thanks for your replies.

Sparkles23 Wed 27-Jul-11 21:02:03

I think just keep an eye on it for infection. I burnt v badly when I was 18 and someone told me to put baby powder on it and I did and it did seem to help a lot, felt better instantly and healed it within days - don't ask me how maybe the talc drew out the moisture from the blisters and encouraged quicker healing- maybe worth a try. Natural yoghurt is also good but would only put it on non blistered red skin. Hope she feels better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now