Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I wish someone could sort me out. I am so tired.

(24 Posts)
TheOriginalFAB Wed 27-Jul-11 10:22:38

Waiting for an appointment at a sleep clinic to see if I have sleep apnea.

I woke up at least 4 times last night and have been awake since around 6. I am so so tired I feel like crying. I have to pick my kids up in 2 hours so no time to sleep and it is getting me down so much.

Can anyone give me some ideas to make me wake up?

RichTeaAreCrap Wed 27-Jul-11 10:33:35

I had a night like that, I must've woken up about 7 times in the night. I just couldn't settle. This happens quite a lot for me, the feeling the day afterwards is awful isnt it.

I am working today and trying to stay awake. Lots of coffee and keep busy. Can you try a power nap for an hour before you pick the kids up?

TheOriginalFAB Wed 27-Jul-11 10:34:57

It isn't even just because of last night. I am like this all the time. I think I will try and sleep.

thestringcheeseincident Wed 27-Jul-11 12:38:30

strong coffee
go out for a fast paced walk.
the more you sit around, the more tired you will feel.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 27-Jul-11 15:39:25

Thanks. I don't like coffee. I went and got the kids and we have been for hair cuts, playing at the park and a bit of shopping. Just looking forward to dinner and bed now.

nazawsze Thu 28-Jul-11 11:39:08

Hi there, have you spoken to your doctor about possible Thyroid problems - maybe ask for T4 and TSH tests and an antibody test just in case - it could be you have an underactive thyroid. Hope this helps x

RamblingRosa Thu 28-Jul-11 11:44:25

Also have you been tested for anaemia?And how much caffeine do you have in a day? I know you say you don't like coffee but do you drink lots of tea/cola etc? To much caffeine can make you not sleep well and therefore be permanently a bit exhausted but wired IYSWIM. Hope doctor can help.

TheOriginalFAB Thu 28-Jul-11 11:47:37

I have had my thyroid tested. Only 2 out of 3 tests were done so it was redone. Different results. I went from

tsh 1.187 to 0.74.
t4 11.6 then 12.7
t3 was 4.7.

GP said they are normal, friend who has had thyroid problems said not. GP won't redo.

I drink mostly water and a glass of coke I had yesterday was the first one in months. I don't drink tea or coffee.

RamblingRosa Thu 28-Jul-11 11:48:46

Can you ask to see a different GP?

TheOriginalFAB Thu 28-Jul-11 11:51:44

I did that once to talk about the results and got an absolute bollocking from the second GP. The hospital doc also agreed my thyroid was fine so I feel like they won't redo. The GP has said at least twice that just sometimes in medicine we never know what is wrong and after the sleep clinic there is nothing else he can do. I know I can't cope much longer with this tiredness.

RamblingRosa Thu 28-Jul-11 11:55:36

I'm sorry. I don't want to alarm you but have you asked about chronic fatigue or ME? A friend of mine had this and she went through years of talking to unsympathetic docs about her exhaustion. Might be worth discussing with doc?

nazawsze Thu 28-Jul-11 12:11:35

You could have the form of Hashimoto thyroid - which only shows up in an antibodies test - I have fought doctors again and again, but they are there for the sole purpose of getting you well and maybe you need to remind them what yours Nat Ins payments are for - keep pushing - it's essential that with kids especially you get yourself sorted out - don't let them beat you down x

TheOriginalFAB Thu 28-Jul-11 12:41:03

Should I do the sleep clinic stuff first?

TheOriginalFAB Thu 28-Jul-11 12:41:12

I could go private..

MrsPlesWearsAFez Thu 28-Jul-11 12:49:09

Could it be depression?

When I'm in one of my "down" phases I get physically exhausted.

TheOriginalFAB Thu 28-Jul-11 12:59:16

I have depression but it is under control and doesn't affect me like this.

nazawsze Thu 28-Jul-11 13:45:52

You've got nothing to lose by doing the sleep investigation - but I would push on with looking into other tests - depression along with tiredness is another indicator of Thyroid problems x

TheOriginalFAB Thu 28-Jul-11 15:57:33

And it is in the family. What am I meant to do when two GP's and one hospital doctor say my results are fine?

topsi Thu 28-Jul-11 18:46:06

Are you on any medication for your depression? Some can make you drowsy

TheOriginalFAB Thu 28-Jul-11 18:50:34

Yes but I have been on it for a while and this excessive tiredness has been going on much longer than that. It has got worse as now I have been sleeping in the day sometimes when I can't face it any longer.

tethersend Thu 28-Jul-11 18:52:58

Have you had your Vitamin D levels checked?

Mine were through the floor, and a massive dose made a big difference to my tiredness/depression within a couple of weeks.

TheOriginalFAB Thu 28-Jul-11 19:01:59

Not knowingly.

I just asked DH if I could go private and he said I would still need a referral from the GP.

If it comes back that I don't have sleep apnea I will have to set up camp at the GP's until they find out what is wrong.

javo Fri 29-Jul-11 15:33:39

when I had some private health insurance at work you needed a GP referral to claim on it but when I just paid for myself with a private ENT consulatant no referral was needed.

Hope you gets some answers - so debilatating.

TheOriginalFAB Fri 29-Jul-11 19:49:08

Thanks.

I am going to have the test for sleep apnea and then if I don't have that I am going to ask for a full set of blood tests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now