Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Camera down / up :-0

(18 Posts)
pinkyp Tue 26-Jul-11 18:14:10

Hi i've got to have a camera down my throats and up my bum! I'm terrified they have said I can have gas & air and a sedative, not to knock me out but to make me feel sleepy/ out of it. I really don't want to feel out of it - I don't drink because I hate to feel out of control.... But can I be brave enough to do it without? Has anyone got any advice?

pinkyp Wed 27-Jul-11 00:25:00

Anyone?

Valpollicella Wed 27-Jul-11 00:26:38

There was a very informative thread on here just the other night about this - have a search as it was very useful

Hope you're ok - and the thought of them is worse than the actual event iyswim. Giid luck

pinkyp Wed 27-Jul-11 00:30:24

Wil have a search thank u smile

RichTeaAreCrap Wed 27-Jul-11 10:36:31

My advice is to take the sedative. The feeling isnt like being out of control, you dont even remember it happening.

I was dreading mine, but it does sound worst than it is. I had the sedative and it was all over very quickly and easily.

piprabbit Wed 27-Jul-11 10:40:54

You won't feel out of control. You will feel like you've been asleep and not be able to remember anything very much.

I've had cameras up and down (different procedures though) and it was fine both times. The worst bit was the medicine you take to clear out your bowels.

This might be the thread that Valpollicella mentioned.

pinkyp Wed 27-Jul-11 21:57:37

Thank u, I didn't even know about the laxatives you had to take - they came in the post this morning. My dh doesn't think I should do it as I'm bf and it can't be healthy for my milk to starve for 24 hrs and drink 8 pints of laxatives

piprabbit Wed 27-Jul-11 23:00:49

Presumably you mentioned the fact you are BFing to the doctor requesting the test. What did they say about the impact of the medicine on your BFing?

pinkyp Thu 28-Jul-11 01:01:58

No I didn't mentioned breastfeeding, no one mentioned medicine too me and I didn't think having a camera would involve it tbh I've never had one before

pinkyp Fri 29-Jul-11 09:44:11

I've cancelled it sad just hope I haven't got cancer or anything now so annoyed with my self

catx2 Fri 29-Jul-11 09:56:08

Hi.
I have got to have this done too. I'm not looking forward to it but if I don't do it then I wont know what is causing my symptoms and wont get the right treatment.
Why was it offered to you to have it done. What are your symptoms?

pinkyp Fri 29-Jul-11 10:23:01

stomach cramps, constipation/loose bowels, bleeding (although its a frishia as i've had it b4) feeling sick,burning sensation in my tummy. The dr thinks its indegestion/stomach acid and ibs. I'm on tablets for both - not really doing alot

pinkyp Fri 29-Jul-11 10:26:50

i know i'm pathetic, really hope i dont die. i've had 4 blood tests and a stool test and they've looked up my bum and all was fine so surely if i had anything serious i'd no.

RichTeaAreCrap Fri 29-Jul-11 10:32:17

it may be a hiatus hernia. The symptoms sound something like that. Possibly an ulcer too. None of those would show on blood tests.

You should rearrange the appointment. I know its all a bit daunting, honestly I was petrified of having mine. When I went in the surgeon had to talk to me for about 30 minutes before he did it to calm me down because my heart was racing too fast and he wanted it to drop.

Now I have had it done I can promise you it is a lot easier than it sounds and with sedation you wont even remember it.

piprabbit Fri 29-Jul-11 10:46:16

Why did you cancel it in the end?
Was it because you are worried about the procedure?
Or because you were worried about taking the drugs while BFing?
Or did you actually contact the hospital about the BFing and they advised you to cancel?

You really need to get proper medical advice - and get checked out as soon as is possible.
How old is your baby? I'm sure that there are options for freezing breastmilk or similar which people here can help you with.

I know it's all daunting - but you will feel so much better once you know for sure what is happening in your body.

catx2 Fri 29-Jul-11 11:14:26

Hi.
Exactly the same symptoms as I have then. I'm also on meds for indigestion and IBS and it doesn't seem to improve.
I had a colonoscopy about 10 years ago and it was fine and I was fine to carry on with my day after the procedure. Never had the endoscopy but as far as I know they offer you a general anaestethic so you are asleep. I have had a general before for something else and it was fine. Just very tired the day after.
I really think you should re schedule. I have been reassured by several Dr's that if it was something nasty it would show on bloodtests but I've also heard from people on here that that isn't always the case.
What does your GP think?

Twosugarsplease Fri 29-Jul-11 15:02:28

They offered me a throat spray, because I chose not to have the sedative as was going home to my dc's. Opt for the sedative.....really wish I had,the nursing staff are very supportive and do tell you it's not pleasant, it's not ! You will be just fine under sedation though. X

pinkyp Sun 31-Jul-11 10:45:19

mightr have it done when not bf or co-sleeping. Wasnt right for me at the moment. Booked to see dr (who only reffered me for a scan) so will see what he says.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now