Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Post Surgery Depression

(40 Posts)
littlewaltham Mon 25-Jul-11 20:37:16

I had a rectocele repair op 10 days ago and feel depressed. Is this normal after an op? how long does it last?

YummyHoney Mon 25-Jul-11 20:56:07

You poor thing. Not sure that it's normal to be depressed 10 days later. Are you in pain? Is that why you're feeling depressed?

littlewaltham Mon 25-Jul-11 21:01:27

Bit of pain but no more than expected. I feel like I did post birth but without tiny baby to look after. Was wondering if anesthetic messed the head up? v low and eating huge amounts! gained 7lbs in 10 days.... sad

YummyHoney Mon 25-Jul-11 21:07:15

Are you alone? Just wondering if you're comfort eating. Have you got friends coming to visit? Something to look forward to this week? Are you able to get out and about?

littlewaltham Mon 25-Jul-11 21:15:53

DD in childcare for next 3 weeks until I am back on feet and DH works. Had a visit planned for today (not well enough to walk without pain yet) but mum took DD home with her instead of coming round so I could rest. Good idea I will plan more visitors. Don't want to end up with repaired bits but left with a messed up head instead. I just wonder can the actual op make you a bit nuts or is it just recovery that is depressing?

orangeflutie Mon 25-Jul-11 21:16:18

Yes it is quite normal to be a bit depressed after surgery.

I had surgery last month and felt quite low for a few weeks afterwards. It does go but it takes a bit of time. My doctor told me it's normally caused by the GA. It stays in your cells for about a month apparently.

YummyHoney Mon 25-Jul-11 21:21:14

Try and make the most of this time alone - presumably you wouldn't normally be able to lounge about all day, wathching TV/ reading or whatever it is you enjoy doing; so turn it into a positive and self-indulge in the knowledge that your DD is being cared for.

Hope you feel better soon smile

littlewaltham Mon 25-Jul-11 21:22:27

Do you have to just sit it out for a month? Last couple of days I have started crying?! and can't seem to make any decisions or hold my ground on anything. I am usually v direct and confident.

littlewaltham Mon 25-Jul-11 21:25:09

Thank you YummyHoney. I am a working studying mum and long for time alone now I have it I'm in bits. All v bizarre and unexpected. I will try and self indulge tom (something other than lindt chocolates....)

YummyHoney Mon 25-Jul-11 21:31:39

grin I love being alone as it's a rare occurrence; it's a shame this has come coupled with post-op depression for you.

If I were you, I would pay and watch all the movies you can't normally watch because either DH doesn't like them or DD is around and they're not suitable. Or watch Fatal Attraction yet again. sheepish emoticon.

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Mon 25-Jul-11 21:36:27

I am pretty sure GA aren't helpful in this area wink can you get fresh air? Like sit outside in the sunshine summer weather grin

Don't feel too bad about feeling bad, I would say it is relatively normal. Exercise is always good but in your situation and early on I would have thought this isn't the best idea yet.

littlewaltham Mon 25-Jul-11 21:41:13

I feel better knowing its expected and normal to feel this way. I used to do lots alone before I got married - now I am in danger of getting depressed over something completely unrelated smile

Thats what is worrying me I have no reason to feel this way but it is overwhelming. Been so focused on the operation didnt give the recovery any thought.

I will have a flcik through the film recommendations threads smile

littlewaltham Mon 25-Jul-11 21:47:09

I need to wee without wincing before I crack on with the starjumps. Will make a point of sitting on my doorstep for a while tom. Who knows might kill 2 birds with one stone get fresh air and a passing conversation.

Or be carted off in a van.

AmazingBouncingFerret Mon 25-Jul-11 21:57:52

sad

I felt awful after my surgery. Couldnt walk very well for 4 weeks after and felt like I had a golf ball sewn under the skin of the small of my back, so couldnt sit back very well either. As you recover and gain your independence more I'm sure you'll "perk up"

I was exactly the same, so worried about the op itself, because it was such a big one and wasnt a standard one at all that the recovery didnt even cross my mind and it came as such a shock that I wasnt back doing normal things 2 weeks later.

Wish you a speedy recovery and hope you feel better soon.

littlewaltham Mon 25-Jul-11 22:01:32

AmazingBF did you have a rectocele repair? The golf ball description is spot on!

AmazingBouncingFerret Mon 25-Jul-11 22:11:48

strangely enough no! I've just had to google what rectocele repair was blush I had a full spinal fusion, maybe it's a running joke for all surgeons, sewing golf balls into their patients. wink

It was bloody awful though but I can safely say that the golfy feeling goes away! As did the depression. I remember sobbing to myself because I found myself sky plussing, watching and enjoying Most Haunted. grin

littlewaltham Mon 25-Jul-11 22:22:02

Wow that sounds serious stuff well done for getting through it! tbh I feel like I have a bag of golf balls sewn about my person from the waist down.

I just had an image of the surgeons having a bit of putting practice during my op..... smile

I planned to learn Italian, write articles, sort family accounts etc. in recovery so far I have cried eaten a LOT and found this website smile

Flowers40 Tue 26-Jul-11 12:14:46

Dear littlewaltham,

I felt exactly like you did post op, it is completely normal. I had my op done at the end of April, so 3 months ago now, rectocele plus cystocele and hysterectomy . For the first few weeks I was a mess too, wailing and crying and could not believe how it affected me emotionally as well as physically. It does get better and you will return to normal, I promise.

I also thought I would be getting on with loads of stuff but slowly slowly does it. Eating is good but watch around your middle, I had a post op 'tummy' I didnt have before the op and it is hard to shift it.. But you do needs treats to keep your spirits up so don't worry too much, mine is starting to shrink a little now I am back to full activity. The ladies above are right, watch lots of films and series' if you can. Escapism is good. I recommend True Blood if you dont mind a bit of gore. You will be able to do a little more each day or so but don't push yourself. You are supposed to rest and although it feels alien it IS what you need. Give yourself permission to take good care of yourself.

Hop over to the long running thread on this issue, the ladies there will support you. It really helped me coming on here and talking to others- I have bumped it up so you can find it. All the best x

CoffeeIsMyFriend Tue 26-Jul-11 12:20:47

I had an op on my spine and afterwards went from euphoria (because I was pain free) to depression (withdrawal from drugs and GA) nobody told me that after a few months of taking diazepam, tramadol and other things that I would be addicted!

Anyway it is the GA that does it. It will get better, over time, just try to plan nice things to do for yourself, nice books to read, movies to watch and get some visitors to pop in.

littlewaltham Tue 26-Jul-11 21:28:15

Tks Flowers huge and useful. My work colleagues sent flowers today. Spent a month of energy on euphanisims attempting to hide my embarassement only to get a huge display of blooms with the message "Hope you feel better soon and your front and back passages are bearing up independently" gave me a laugh which can only be good thing smile

littlewaltham Tue 26-Jul-11 21:36:00

CoffeeIsMyFriend I am also on diaz and tram decided to ditch them this morning..... golf ball in my knickers is now a pulsing pain that covers a football size area. The depression I felt did remind me of a come down from big party days in the 80s. I have taken paracetamol and a shot of limoncello smile

CoffeeIsMyFriend Wed 27-Jul-11 16:16:48

lmao @ paracetamol and limoncello! Did it help?

yes I didnt even think about withdrawal from my happy pain killers, until a few weeks after it dawned on me!

Take care of yourself Little and maybe you should just cut down gradually on your diaz and tram, if you need to take them then do. Not worth being in pain.

littlewaltham Wed 27-Jul-11 21:32:31

Yes! DH is Italian so we have pleanty of alcoholic shots lurking around the house, basically alco pops masquarading as grown up night caps. Got to love Italians for their foodie self indulgence.

Tonight I have my eye on a jar of peaches marinated in red wine.

btw did you get over your addiction? all is well now?

CoffeeIsMyFriend Wed 27-Jul-11 21:39:51

oh yes, all is well now. I only really thought about it about a month later. I had L4/5 removed (well, pieces of them) and had been on tram/diazepam/diclofenac for a couple of months previously as pain was agonising. The op was actually for pain relief and afterwards I was fine. After a few days I felt really ill, sick, shaky, spaced out etc and was by then only on paracetamol.

DH was a saint, I was grumpy and felt ill, and didnt realise why. Also with GA I was a bit off when I came round so wasnt really thinking about much.

Didnt really register until I was talking to a nurse friend and she said it was withdrawal from the drugs! Felt like such an eejit for not considering this.

Anyway I am fine now, op was a few years ago.

littlewaltham Wed 27-Jul-11 21:55:05

your retrospective is interesting to me as within 10 days I was having a wee tram and diaz for relaxation rather than acute pain. I am finding all is well stories v settling. Tks.

DHs are surprisingly handy in a crisis. Bit gutted mine is excelling at the domestic helm....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now