Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Delaying a period.

(5 Posts)
manic Mon 25-Jul-11 18:33:51

Is it possible to "postpone" my daughter's period which is due during our holiday? I think I read somewhere that there is something the Dr can prescribe. Would he for someone so young? We are spending a week scuba diving and snorkelling and she has worked out that she is due to start the day we go away. She is only 12 and her periods last 8/9 days........ She's really upset at the thought of not being able to swim (she is too young for tampax).....

NestaVipers Mon 25-Jul-11 19:15:17

Norethisterone can be prescribed to delay periods. Boots have just made it available over-the-counter, but probably best to see a doctor in your daughter's case given her age etc.

manic Mon 25-Jul-11 22:13:10

Thank you NV, will book an appointment tomorrow...... shame she's come up against this so young.

twentyten Mon 25-Jul-11 22:20:39

Just chatted to gp about this today! They will prescribe and dd can take for a few days before to stave off period. Good luck!

manic Tue 26-Jul-11 22:30:15

Seeing GP in morning, dd distraught thinking not only will she not be able to scuba (she's been training for this since Christmas) or snorkel but will have to cover up as very self-conscious at this time of the month. Thanks for your replies, will post the result!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now