Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes - travelling to USA in 1 month!

(5 Posts)
mrsharrycunningham Mon 25-Jul-11 13:22:03

We are due to be travelling the the US in a month and and my friend's teenage DD has just been diagnosed as having type 1 diabetes. Do you think they will still be able to travel at that time? Am guessing if it's regulated there shouldn't be an issue?

moaningminniewhingesagain Mon 25-Jul-11 13:24:54

I don't see any reason why she won't be able to travel - by then she will hopefully be settled on the right meds and be confident with giving her insulin/testing blood sugars.

She will likely need to get extra advice about the timing of medication and meals with the change in time zone. And make sure the travel insurance is aware and willing to provide cover.

DBennett Mon 25-Jul-11 13:54:58

Strongly recommend double checking the travel insurance situation.

Acute health care costs in the USA are extremely high.

RunnerHasbeen Tue 26-Jul-11 10:47:25

She might also need a medical certificate to be allowed to carry her injections in her hand luggage. Hope you get it all sorted and have a lovely trip.

ClaireDeLoon Tue 26-Jul-11 10:59:02

I just organised travel insurance for diabetic DP (type 2) and I with www.world-first.co.uk/ and for europe for a one week holiday his diabetes and related hypertension added on a tenner to have the pre-existing medical condition covered. I'm sure it will be more for the US but there are insurers out there.

It might be worth her going through getting a quote now so you know what the additional costs for her cover are before you contact your own insurers so you have a rough idea of the extra cost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now