Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you have started the menopause, or finished it! How old were you at the beginning?

(16 Posts)
PonceyMcPonce Sun 24-Jul-11 21:00:52

my periods are still regular, but pharmacist gave me a real quizzing today, when I needed canes ten after antibiotics.

Could it be menopause on the horizon and she was concerned about more complex gynea issues?

<< sobs gently>>

Mellowfruitfulness Sun 24-Jul-11 21:08:53

Don't cry, Poncey! If you are still having regular periods, you can't be going through the menopause, can you?

And when it does land on you, it might not be as bad as you (and most young women) think. I love not being at the mercy of my hormones every month!

However, if you are worried about more complex gynae issues, maybe someone else will come on here and help you.

IntotheNittyGritty Sun 24-Jul-11 21:44:21

If the pharmacist has asked you questions then she has probably identified an issue and it is worth going back to your doctor and talk to him/her.

Blood tests can confirm whether you are going into menapause but it is worth qetting checked out anyway. if you are having problems and ignore them then it could get worse down the line

PonceyMcPonce Sun 24-Jul-11 22:26:25

No actual problems, all ticketty boo really, just awareness I guess that less and less likely to be pg, and that getting older is inevitable. Maybe a bad day and I looked 50!

orienteerer Sun 24-Jul-11 22:30:56

I'm curious about this too. I'll be 49 in Aug but I have a Mirena coil (on to my 2nd) so no periods..........so how do I know when I'm menopausal?

Mellowfruitfulness Sun 24-Jul-11 22:37:59

You can get a blood test, I believe. But why do you need to know? Wouldn't it be a good idea not to, and then one day it's happened and you don't need to worry about it any more. (And you still need contraception while you are going through it and for a few years afterwards, I think).

orienteerer Sun 24-Jul-11 22:43:07

Mellowfruitfulness - I don't "need to know" but I've read so much about it I can't help but wonder. Current coil will see me through to age 53 so I guess I'll wait until then spend NHS money on a blood test

juuule Sun 24-Jul-11 22:48:47

perimenopausal from around 44 (could have been earlier but had pregnancies until then). Menopause occurred at 50y.

Mellowfruitfulness Sun 24-Jul-11 23:45:46

Orienteerer, it has occurred to me that you might actually need to know because if your bones are brittle - or for other things too - you can get HRT.

SagaciousCloud Mon 25-Jul-11 08:54:24

I have been having irregular periods and hot flushes since I was about 44. Am 50 now, but last period was at Christmas, so may or may not be menopausal. I have no other symptoms and have made sure I have had a calcium rich(ish) diet since my 30s, so feel no need to go on HRT (yet?).

IntotheNittyGritty Tue 26-Jul-11 02:09:54

i was told with the merina coil that the blood test wouldnt show menopausal because the coil feeds chemicals into your body.

i have been feeling what has been described as menapausal for ages! Still dont know if I am or not

ameliagrey Tue 26-Jul-11 08:59:55

OP why were you quizzed for wanting a treatment for thrush? confused
Did you say that you had perhaps, constant itching which can be a sign of things "drying out"?

I missed one period when I was 51-ish, then they carried on pretty much as normal though very light until I was 53 when they stopped/started for about 6 months.

Blood tests are not always accurate- I had one after my first missed period which showed I was post menopausal, but then I had almost another 2 years of regular periods.

PonceyMcPonce Tue 26-Jul-11 15:07:49

Don't know why quizzed really, maybe I looked like I was brewing a STD!

I knew exactly why,antibiotic exactly the same as every other time I have had it!

Or I could look like elderly prune- I was perhaps not looking my best!

higgle Tue 26-Jul-11 19:19:39

If you don't want to be quizzed at chemists you can buy on line at Dr Fox - in fact they sell all sorts of medication that GPs get sniffy about.

zipzap Tue 26-Jul-11 20:25:02

Other thing that thrush can sometimes be an indicator of is diabetes - any chance it could have been that she was quizzing you about? But given you'd just had abs then thats a known way to get thrush too so maybe they were just being incredibly thorough...

Sorry just realised you didn't say thrush, have just assumed from what you said, ignore me if it's not applicable!

lloyd1 Wed 27-Jul-11 22:38:18

Irregular periods for about a year. Just turned 43 and now on hot flashes and no periods. So I guess this is it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now