Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

GP tomorrow hoe do I get him to help me without crying?

(24 Posts)
TheOriginalFAB Sun 24-Jul-11 19:51:38

I am seeing him about my excessive and debilitating tiredness plus dh thinks I have sleep apnea.

I want to ask him if I can stop taking some of my tablets as I don't know what I am taking them for and they are not helping with the pain and tiredness.

TotalChaos Sun 24-Jul-11 19:53:22

can your DH come with tomorrow for moral support? or if not, write down what's he's noticed re:your sleep breathing?

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 24-Jul-11 19:55:06

Fab: do you have health anxiety?

TheOriginalFAB Sun 24-Jul-11 19:55:30

That should be how!!

No, dh has to have the kids.

BeerTricksPotter Sun 24-Jul-11 19:57:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dearprudence Sun 24-Jul-11 19:58:11

If you have tablets and you don't know what they're for, you should definitely ask the GP to explain them.

I'm interested to know why you don't want to cry in front of the GP.

TheOriginalFAB Sun 24-Jul-11 19:59:58

I have asked other GP's at the surgery and they don't know what they are for either. They guess. It was a hospital doctor that prescribed them.

I don't want to cry as it is embarrassing.

dearprudence Sun 24-Jul-11 20:03:09

People cry in front of the GP every single day. I've done it myself - I also find it embarrassing but at least it shows how much something is bothering you.

Hope the appointment goes OK. And I would ask again about the tablets from hospital.

BeerTricksPotter Sun 24-Jul-11 20:03:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IntotheNittyGritty Sun 24-Jul-11 21:48:08

Start writing down every sympton and when it happens, what triggers it, when is it worse, better.

Maybe take someone with you who can talk on your behalf.

If you cant read from the list, hand it to him/her. Maybe write that you find it hard to talk and write down everything you want to talk to him/her about. Your could even present it as a letter explaining everything and what action you want taking.

It is too easy to only give half a story, and then the wrong diagnosis or wrong conclusion.

Did you ask for bloods to be taken? I remember your last post?

Being tired for this long means something isnt right, so good that you are getting it checked out

basingstoke Sun 24-Jul-11 21:50:40

What was the hospital doctor seeing you about?

Memoo Sun 24-Jul-11 21:52:05

What meds are you on fab?

JumpJockey Sun 24-Jul-11 21:55:49

Dh is gp and says not to worry about crying, you're by no means the first and they are absolutely used to it. Doc will take as long as it takes to answer your questions, so take in a note with whatever you want to know about the symptoms and also the medication. If you need to, just pass the note over instead of talking.
Good luck.

Becaroooo Sun 24-Jul-11 23:07:08

FAB The day I finally cried in front of my GP was the day things started to get better xxx

Liliana1 Sun 24-Jul-11 23:13:25

I walked into my gp and burst into tears the moment she asked what she could do for me.

Poor woman was incredibly sympathetic and think it showed her how serious I was about the problem. Good idea to write down what you want to say as I spent alot of the time apologising (needlessly).

Same as Becaroooo though - that was the day I started to get better.

Good luck and hope you get some answers x

TheOriginalFAB Mon 25-Jul-11 08:10:09

I think I was only bothered about crying in case it meant I couldn't tell him how things are.

I was seeing the hospital as I had an accident and damaged my neck which every GP missed. I had to have a CT scan and a MRI. Ended up having private osteopathy treatment after I fell, couldn't remember how to move my leg and one morning I couldn't get up at all. He gave my amitryptaline (for migraines he said). went back and got more tablets to help me get REM sleep. Said to take them twice a week until all gone. Did this and no change.

Saw a second hospital doctor who said I was obese. Changed my anti depressants and sent me for physio for fybromialgia. Physio couldn't help.

Saw another GP a few weeks back who said to take the sleep tablets every night for 2 weeks (said there was nothing from doctor about twice a week) and then cut down when I can. Have done this and no change. I am taking the kids to school and then 1-2 hours later needing to sleep.

Have had blood tests taken and all is normal.

I am not losing weight or have put 2lbs on this week.

Have to go now.

Thanks all.

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Mon 25-Jul-11 08:12:44

Don't worry about crying not suprised if you do you must be exhausted and that makes me cry too!

frostyfingers Mon 25-Jul-11 08:34:24

As the others have said, write it all down. Also ask him if he can write down what he says re your medication. I took my mother to her GP (she has dementia) and we wrote down a long list and asked him to do the same and it was really helpful. I have a tendency to nod and say yes I do understand when in fact I don't then when you come out you haven't the foggiest idea what they said.

Hope it goes ok.

TheOriginalFAB Mon 25-Jul-11 09:51:34

I am back.

He says I am not obese so to ignore anyone who said it. I am over weight but I look fine.

He is referring me to a sleep clinic regarding the new sleep issues (snoring and gasping for breath) and then to a rheumatologist but other than that there is nothing else he can do.

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Mon 25-Jul-11 10:27:14

And did you cry?

TheOriginalFAB Mon 25-Jul-11 10:40:56

No. I think it helped that straight away he was saying he would refer me.

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Mon 25-Jul-11 10:59:46

Good news all round then smile

frostyfingers Mon 25-Jul-11 10:59:47

Grea news, well done! At least you've made progress.

TheOriginalFAB Mon 25-Jul-11 11:04:59

Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Just got letter from breast doctor and he has felt nodular areas which felt technically benign.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now