Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I am always sick...fed up. How can I become a healthier person?

(20 Posts)
tak1ngchances Sun 24-Jul-11 08:37:00

There is always something wrong with me. This ranges from niggly things like colds/sore throats to full-blown hospital visits (rupturing ovarian cysts and the like).
I am totally fed up with being sick all the time and my family, although wonderful and kind and lovely, are losing patience. My employer is definitely losing patience. I am losing patience with myself!! This year I have had to cancel two visits home to Ireland, a weekend in Paris and a weekend on a hen party. I am always letting people down.

I have no idea why I am always sick. I eat well, I do a moderate amount of exercise. My job is quite stressful but not shockingly so.
I don't have children yet but DH and I would like to start TTC. Thing is, I don't feel like sex very often because I am always feeling sick and also I worry about how I could be a good Mum when I am sick so often.

Right now I am sitting in bed surrounded by tissues, paracetamol, sudafed and other accoutrements. Went to see doctor on Thursday and he says upper respiratory tract infection and to get plenty of rest and fluids. I slept around 3 hours both nights this weekend because I am so worried about phoning my boss tomorrow to say I can't come in AGAIN.

Has anyone else gone through this, any idea what causes people to get sick over and over again? Has anyone managed to boost their immunity and get over constant illness? I would truly appreciate any advice.

Thanks

TheSnickeringFox Sun 24-Jul-11 08:39:31

How is your vitamin D intake? Might be worth going for a private health MOT?

mousymouse Sun 24-Jul-11 08:46:17

I had half a year in my early twenties where I would have one cold after another.
it turned out that. I was anaemic.
a course of high dose iron sorted that one out.
I would insist on a blood test to seeif you havean underlying infection and to check iron levels and go from there.
good luck

tak1ngchances Sun 24-Jul-11 08:54:00

Thing is, I had an operation at the end of April and I had a lot of blood tests then. I don't think they found anything dodgy...but I don't know if they tested for vitamins and things. Can the GP do that or do I need to go private?

mousymouse Sun 24-Jul-11 08:58:56

ask your gp first, some gp's would even do those tests privately.
for an op usually only very few things are tested, think blood group and a few other things.

IntotheNittyGritty Sun 24-Jul-11 09:46:31

I think that as you have had so many illnesses that it is worth pursuing further and asking for your doctor to do more intensive tests. Bloods can tell a lot about a person, but the doctor needs to request the appropriate tests in the first place.

Also ask to see if yo uhave the right vitamins (not sure if you are eating healthy), to check all your organs, etc.

wicketkeeper Sun 24-Jul-11 17:10:38

Look for a book called 'Super Foods, Super Fast'. It gives lists of foods that are 'super foods', but also (and more useful for me, I found), gives lists of foods that are big fat no no's for a range of different health issues. You may well be eating lots of food that is good for you - but you may also be eating a lot that is bad for you. As a basic starting point, cut out ALL refined carbohydrates (that's white flour, white sugar etc), and avoid anything processed (anything pickled, smoked, or shaped like a dinosaur). Substitute wholemeal flour, unrefined sugar, brown rice, wholemeal pasta. Give it a month. You really don't need to live like this.

kalo12 Sun 24-Jul-11 17:12:58

I recommend Yoga. I really think that you need a holistic approach

lifeistooshort Sun 24-Jul-11 17:21:10

My personal experience could real like your post OP. I recently joined a bootcamp in an attempt to be healthier. There is a nutrional plan to follow and exercise. The "diet" part of things was very difficult to get on to start with but I now feel healthier than ever. Some of the rules are

- in be by 21.30 with something relaxing to do. Light and eyes shut between 21.30 and 22.30 at the latest.
- Good quality Vitamin B complex in the morning
- Good quality zinc and magnesium citrate an hour before bed
- only drink volvic
- no caffein (but herbal teas are allowed. I drink Pukka)
- organic food cooked from scratch especially meet
- no dairy
- no wheat
- cook everything in coconut oil

It is a bit hard to get the hang of it to start with but once you have found the right substitutes e.g corn pasta, wheat free flour etc... it makes a massive difference

Might be worth a try.

giraffesCantZumba Sun 24-Jul-11 17:21:53

Not getting tonsillitis are you? I was like that all the time - not been ill since had tonsils out (apart from with asthma) mind you was only june I had them out so will see....! Sympathis lots though.

frostyfingers Mon 25-Jul-11 08:41:20

I had about 18 months of this after my 3rd child was born - mostly throat/lung infections and colds but it really got me down. I went to see a herbalist, and also had counselling which was good. When you are frequently ill you spend a lot of time telling everyone that it's ok, not too bad etc etc and it is a great relief to talk to someone different about how crap it all is. I had endless antibiotics, took piles of vitamins and had lots of tests which all came up clear.

In the end it just fizzled out, but was mainly put down to having child no 3. Since you don't have children giving you horrible illnesses I think you are entirely justified in going for a proper MOT, and lots of tests. Look into seeing someone who does complementary medicine, dietician and counselling - I'm not saying it's all in the mind, but I think every avenue should be explored to give you peace of mind. I spent quite a long time thinking it was psychological, and wasn't helped by people saying "oh no, you're no illa again!"

I do hope you can get it sorted, good luck.

PrincessJenga Mon 25-Jul-11 09:01:18

A year ago I could have written your OP. I got every bug going, I was constantly tired & I'd had two surgeries on an ovarian cyst, a miscarriage and various infections. I had loads of time off work and kept having to cancel social plans. It was rubbish!

What did they actually do about your cyst? My first two surgeries were to drain it and it just came straight back. Eventually they removed my ovary and Fallopian tube at the same time as removing the cyst. It seemed dramatic at the time and I was absolutely gutted, but within a month i felt healthier than I had for years and within three months (the earliest I was allowed to 'try') i was pregnant. I'm now days away from meeting my baby and have honestly never felt healthier or happier.

Now, clearly I'm not a doctor & I'm sure our medical backgrounds differ, but if I was you I'd be asking my doc if that cyst (or the resulting damage to your ovary, or any other underlying issues) could be causing wider problems.

ppeatfruit Mon 25-Jul-11 09:18:16

I would agree with lifeistooshort but with a couple of exceptions and additions
1. Try the Hay diet, it is not mixing carbs and protein at the same meal

2.Cook in olive oil, some people are sensitive to coconut.

3.Always eat fruit on an empty stomach.

4. Take care with acid forming foods and drinks e.g. alcohol, oranges, vinegars etc. Lots of people are intolerant of potatoes, peppers, etc. and don't know that they make them ill. Good luck!

tak1ngchances Mon 25-Jul-11 14:59:12

Thanks all so much for your replies. You all seem to know exactly how it is. I am at home today and I know that my boss thinks I'm just having a moan.
I agree that a holistic approach might be best. I feel like I'm being treated as a sum of parts, not a total person. It is always me asking "might there be a connection between my prolapsed disc and my bladder problems" for example and the doctors saying, oh yes there is probably a link. But I am on antibiotics for bladder and physio for disc with no one thinking of something more holistic (that's just one example).
I am not sceptical about alternative health care, but I do want to find a good practitioner. Because the industry is not as well regulated, I am wary of going to see someone who causes more harm than good.
So I might get a BUPA wellness check i.e. a whole range of tests done to see if there is an underlying deficiency of some kind, and then go down the route of seeing a herbalist/similar. Does anyone have good recommendations (South West London)?

Earthymama Mon 25-Jul-11 15:07:10

I could have posted this through my tears this morning!! I had a free weekend last Saturday and Sunday. I intended to do a massive clear out in readiness for a visit from a much loved friend. Also I would like to not have the thought of housework hanging over my head.
But NO! my chronic sinusitis flared up as did the psoriasis and arthritis and I was asleep for much of the time and whwn i was awake I felt awful, (as I still do)
I'm waiting to see a consultant re sinusitis, have had lots of blood tests to no avail. I'm taking Spatone, which helped a little.
Someone else recommended the Hay diet so I might give it a try.
I could run away but my body comes too, so that's no use!!

Cleverything Mon 25-Jul-11 15:12:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nomdujour Mon 25-Jul-11 18:36:24

Alex Laird is a fab herbalist in SW London with a very holistic approach. She is also lovely smile

I'm not her btw, I used to do a bit of volunteering for her charity Living Medicine.

Nomdujour Mon 25-Jul-11 18:39:57

Lifeistooshort what bootcamp did you go on? Sounds very interesting!

My dad has had a lot of success with a low carb diet.

I'm a big fan of proper fermented cod liver oil (I take blue ice).

ppeatfruit Tue 26-Jul-11 17:26:23

yes Nomdujour and a quick herbal fix for your immune system is the best echinacea you can afford.I also take borage or starflower oil for good omega 3s like evening primrose but better.

But IMO and E looking at your diet (I follow my blood type; Author is Dr. Peter D'Adamo) has to be the best way to health, everyone who's on it has amazing stories of healing long term illnesses, weight loss etc. Also the Earth Clinic on google is a great help.

IntotheNittyGritty Tue 26-Jul-11 20:20:35

Lots of self diagnosises here. Get checked out by doctor

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now