Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone got experience of camera down throat and up the posterior.

(21 Posts)
snowaddict Sat 23-Jul-11 10:54:12

I've been told by doctor I've got very low ferritin levels so he has suggested I have top and tail examination as he put it to rule out any possible problems.

Are these examinations very uncomfortable etc.

Thanks

zeus123 Sat 23-Jul-11 11:00:12

You should nor have pain. You will be given sedition and pain killers. Occasionally you might have discomfort but it will depend on your bowel structure, any other factors like previous operations etc.,

nancy75 Sat 23-Jul-11 11:02:59

i have had the one down my throat. I can't really remember too much about it really. They give you a drug that means you are awake but don't really know whats going on, and spray some stuff in the back of your throat. I remember a bit of gagging and the spray tasting nasty but that really is all. It wasn't painful and I was fine to go home a couple of hours later.

aliceliddell Sat 23-Jul-11 11:05:06

I haven't, but my Dad and aunt have. They would strongly advise accept the offers of sedation and anaesthetic/analgesics. Also, there may well be a certain amount of flatulence afterwards.

KurriKurri Sat 23-Jul-11 11:40:30

I've had both of them together with sedation, - I had no memory of it afterwards - I was out of it, so definitely take the sedation (but you'll need someone to drive you home afterwards)

I've also had the 'tail' version without sedation - it wasn't too dreadful - a bit uncomfortable as they try to get round the loops of your bowel, but fairly quick procedure.

snowaddict Sat 23-Jul-11 12:23:52

Thanks everyone. I think I much prefer the sedation route after hearing the details.

merryberry Sat 23-Jul-11 12:28:51

have done the tail end, no sedation, was physically a breeze. was mentally stressed about being 'nice enough; down below eg having not eaten and doing their bowel prep correctly, basically an holding in an enema from a nurse then going to loo. did NOT enjoy their excitement at the findings and the running commentary, would have preferred dignified silence and a short summary later, thanks (excitement was to do with having loads of healing visible to lesions, they were counting like it was a bloody game!)

smile life. odd sometimes.

larakitten Sat 23-Jul-11 20:21:43

I've had the tail end done with sedation. Was a breeze, if you'll pardon the pun. Worst bit was the laxatives they give you to take before, my god.......

But the actual procedure, I have very little memory of.......good stuff, that sedatives...grin

RichTeaAreCrap Sat 23-Jul-11 23:36:37

snow I had the camera down my throat a couple of months ago. I think I have a thread somewhere about it. I was absolutely dreading it and was petrified!! Everyone told me not to worry but I thought it would be the most awful thing ever.

I opted for sedation (they give you the choice, go for it!). I remember nothing at all about it apart from at the end and it really wasn't bad at all. The thought of it is much worse than the procedure.

shitmagnet Sat 23-Jul-11 23:42:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bearskinwoolies Sun 24-Jul-11 01:13:00

I've had them both - the colonoscopy I had prep to take beforehand (so don't go too far away from a loo) and I got to watch what they saw on a monitor.

The endoscopy (down the throat) was fine, I had sedation for it, and don't remember a thing until a few hours after! I did actually dress myself after, and talk to my dh and dcs etc, but it's a blank - was great & I highly recommend sedation grin

pollyteapot Sun 24-Jul-11 07:22:27

I had an endoscopy 2 years ago - no sedation but they sprayed some numbing agent down my throat before hand. I didn;t get the choice of sedation.

The gag reflex is VERY strong, be warned. I found it very uncomfortable and I was quite scared, but it was over in a few minutes.

roguepixie Sun 24-Jul-11 07:44:41

I've had both and have to agree with those above who stress the necessity of taking the sedation they offer.

The gag reflect is very strong. Do not underestimate the urge to get the tube out.I have had two down the throat - first time was sedated and whilst it was not pleasant it was do-able. The second tie was without sedation and I was hysterical...but that was me. I just freaked!

As for the other, again I've had two!! The first was the 'girst stage' of examination and was without sedation as it wasn't necessary. Uncomfortable but not painful. The second was "the full monty" grin and I had sedation - no choice about it ... and believe me, you wouldn't want to go through it without grin.

Twosugarsplease Sun 24-Jul-11 08:56:58

I have to agree with pollyteapot... Opt for the sedation. I had an endoscopy on mothers day this year, I got some roast beef stuck in my oesophagus (was pigging out while slicing the Sunday roast,so served me right !) the procedure in my case was to push the obstruction down into my gullet. I was offered sedation or the spray, I chose the spray to enable me to go home afterwards and still be alert enough to see to my children. Although the nurse by my side was very supportive throughout, it was the most horrible experience. ( sorry for being so honest) I remember thinking how I wished I had chosen to be sedated. Go for it ! as for the other end....the ladies beside me in recovery had us in stitches with their flatulence. All the best x

Flumptious Sun 24-Jul-11 09:10:54

I've had both and honestly, they're not bad at all.
Accept all offers of sedation, the throat spray tasted like banana skin.
Apparently I enjoyed the colonoscopy and kept rolling onto my back with my legs open! So it can't have been that bad.

Becaroooo Sun 24-Jul-11 23:12:34

I have had both.

I wasnt sedated for the bottom one....it was uncomfortable and the flatulence afterwards was truly epic grin

For the mouth one I requested sedation and cant remember a thing. No sore throat after, home after an hour.

HTH

Valpollicella Sun 24-Jul-11 23:16:51

I have had the <ahem> posterior one.

It was sprung on me as it were as I thought I was just going for a consulting app, but they offered to do it then and there.

A nurse cam in to hold my hand and there was no sedation etc offered, but to be frank, it wasn't needed.

It was a bit embarrassing, and uncomfortable (less so than a smear) but not painful at all.

It was afterwards that was the problem...trumping uncontrollably on the bus the whole way home blush

Good luck with them both.

snowaddict Mon 25-Jul-11 11:18:15

Thanks everyone for being so frank. I know exactly what I'm in store for now. Sedation definately sounds the way forward. Definately not be going back to work afterwards with sound effects :0

Imnotaslimjim Mon 25-Jul-11 11:29:10

I had an endoscopy without sedation and without wanting to scare you, I'll never do it again. I'll be taking the sedation next time!

As others have said, the gag reflex is unbelievably strong. I was retching throughout the procedure. Thankfully, he was in and out (with a diagnosis) in 4 minutes. I promptly through up over the nurse. Thankfully she was expecting it and had a disposable apron on!

snowaddict Mon 25-Jul-11 18:03:14

Thanks SlimJim. I must admit I sometimes find it difficult to even swallow tablets so not the best candidate for this. I would rather know all the details - I know it's over quickly but it does sounds unpleasant/uncomfortable without any sedation.

RichTeaAreCrap Mon 25-Jul-11 19:23:53

Definately go for the sedation snowaddict. You wont remember the camera being put down at all. I didnt believe how I could be sedated and awake but not know what was going on. But it honestly does happen - you won't remember.

With mine I walked into the room and sat on the bed. There was a doctor and 2 nurses. They put a needle in my hand, then sprayed my throat. Your throat feels like it is swelling up but it isnt. Then they put the sedation in through the needle in your hand. The next thing you will know it is all over. You go into recovery for about 30 minutes, then they give you a drink and a biscuit and tell you the results, then you are free to go home.

You will need someone with you if you have sedation so they can take you home. You will be tired too the rest of the day and your throat will be sore. The day after I was fine, throat had stopped hurting and it was all ok.

Honestly it sounds a lot worse than it is. Good luck, you will be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now