MMR now DD can't walk!(34 Posts)
Join the discussion
Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.
My DD got the MMR on Wednesday afternoon. She was a little out of sorts on thursday but then on friday was really upset when she woke up. Then i noticed she had a bad limp, there was no mark on her leg, no fever. i called the doc he said to take her in if it got any worse. today she woke up and couldn't walk at all. i took her to the GP and he said there was no sign of infection so he's not worried. But i am. Has anyone else's DC's had this reaction after the MMR... Do you think i should go to another GP?
I would go to another gp for a second opinion.
I will if she's not better i'll go again monday morning....i'm really worried...
if i were you i'd be taking my dc up to the hospital for a thorough examination today
This is probably nothing to do with the MMR. Apparently if small children hurt/sprain a leg they will sometimes just stop using it while it is sore. This happened to my DD and it was terrifying.
I would take her to be looked at agin. This happened to my dd when she had an ear infection, it lasted a couple of days and she was able to walk properly when her ear drum burst.
I'd go to get it checked out today at A&E, paediatric A&E if you have one. It is most likely fine. I have heard of children doing this and it's related to the pain of the injection site and them associating weight bearing with it being sore but you need to rule out it being anything else at all. You're only going to worry all weekend. The GP not being worried is a good sign but you really do need somebody to have a really good look at your dd to make sure it's all okay and you need to feel reassured.
The mmr is a distraction.
If you start getting bogged down with those who will tell you it is involved or isn't involved you will miss the point.
Your child isn't walking yet has no obvious sprain or injury. Get her to the hospital
Surely if you are that worried you wouldn't leave it until Monday!
She didnt leave it till monday - she is posting after having been seen by the GP.
In her second post she said if she's not better i'll go again monday morning....i'm really worried
Surely she shouldn't wait that long if she is that worried?
In her first post she said that this morning she had been seen by the GP. She has then decided to wait til Monday before she has her seen again.
From some posts it is as if they didnt read the bit about seeing the GP.
If she's still upset and distressed she needs to be seen, whether you've already seen the GP or not. Take her to A&E.
I saw that she saw a GP, but that didn't put her mind at rest & she is really worried. So the only way to get some peace of mind is to get it checked ASAP, surely?
If it is anything, or the child is in pain, then best to get that sorted & not wait for 48hrs?
And yes, if the OP stays worried then that is a perfectly good reason to get her seen again, but I dont think it is fair to imply that she is behaving unreasonably by going along with the advice of her GP if she was content that her DD had been carefully examined.
I have not implied that she is being irresponsible. Simply stated that if dr failed put her at ease & she is really worried (her words) she should get her seen.
She seems content with the fact that her daughter was examined, she doesn't seem content with the outcome. Therefore, seek more reassurance/another outcome
Ineedtotalk how has your dd been this afternoon?
we've been to the GP and i called the health line, they both said i don't need to worry. I'm in NZ, it's sunday morning here. We are getting ready to go to A&E now i'm not waiting another night DD was in pain this morning.
catsareevil - how long was your dd unable to walk, was it a sprain?
the injection site is clear no redness, no rash. So Pagwatch you may be right it could be nothing to do with mmr.
I'll let you know what the a&e doc says. Wish us look...
It lasted a day. I dont know exactly what it was in the end as my DD as about 18 months old at the time, and couldnt explain. It was horrible though, as I had no idea when it happened that this was something that children do, and I had really frightening thoughts about what might be causing it. The GP that we saw seemed to have seen it all before though.
I hope that your DD is back on her feet soon.
dd had a "hip cold" at around this age , unrelated to mmr but apparently fluid can build up in a joint after a cold/virus. Has she been otherwise unwell ? After a few days of antiinflammatories she was fine.
LIZS a "hip cold" never heard of that but DD was unwell last week with cold like symptoms. Another possibility.
We took DD to the a&e and the doc said that the sore leg is likely to be caused by the mmr and will pass in a few days or so. DD had a slightly high temperature and vomited after dinner, still can't walk or put any weight on her leg. We'll see how the next day or two go.
this worrying is awful .
I don't know about nz, but I would report this reaction. in the UK it would be the yellow card
The thing about toddlers is they can be capricious, even a little ache can make them conclude "Blech, I won't bother"; I had that with DD, once; she had a small infection with her toe & refused to walk for about 18 hours; an hour after we started antiBs she started walking again -- that was too soon for the antiBs to have taken effect, I'm sure she had just come around to deciding the pain wasn't that bad.
Hope your DD is better, soon.
Hi ragged thanks, thats reassuring.
CARM is the place to report adverse reactions in NZ and Ive filled in the report. I also found a number for the Immunisation advisory centre, Im disappointed that none of the doctors gave me this number before now nor did they advise me to report the reaction? Anyway I gave them a call and Im waiting for their immunisation specialist to call me back.
My ds1 was unable to walk for 4 days once when he was 3. He was in total agony if he tried to walk and screamed if you touched him.
He had had antibiotics for a bad chest/throat infection a week or so earlier. My DH was in charge and he had not finished the course of antibiotics.
He had no injuries.
He had x rays in the end and we found out he had a genetic bone disorder. The ortho doc said that the earlier infection had gone to the weak part of his body, in this case his left hip. It sounds similar to the hip cold mentioned ealier.
Good Luck (also in NZ, although all the above happened 10 years ago in the UK)
Join the discussion
Please login first.