Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

low levels of progesterone? *long* and tmi

(3 Posts)
Antsmummy Fri 22-Jul-11 23:55:39

hi, this it the first time ive posted on here but im after some advice/opinions please.
I had my DS in jan 2008, got my AF after around 6 months. since then its been getting progressively heavier, to the extent that i need superplus tampax plus a pad every 3/4 hours for the first 3/4 days. my cycle is 31 days, and AF is around for 5 days like clockwork.
since i had my DS my PMS has got worse and worse, maybe for 25 days im horrendous, grumpy, snappy, argumentative, just plain nasty!
I get sore boobs which i never used to get, and cannot shift my last 1.5 stone of baby weight no matter what i do. My skin is crap (been that way since my first period when i was 11, im 32 now) and i have no energy and no drive.
Abour 8 months ago i went to my gp and he prescribed me dianette, which i took for about 4 years from the age of 15 to 19) well that made my symptoms 100% worse and i stopped taking it after 4 days.
I then saw antoher GP and she prescribed anti depressants. i took various anti-ds of varying strengths, until i managed to convince her that i didnt think it was depression!
on thursady just gone she attempted to fit a Mirena coil, on day 4 of AF; my cervix was super tight and she didnt manage it :-(
sh's going to try again on august 8th, and in the interim ive started taking Agnus Castus.
I read on google you cant mix these two things, can ayone back this up?
does anyone else on here have low levels of progesterone? (this is purely self diagnosed as the doctor doesnt think i hve anything wrong with my cycle/ hormones!)
does anyone have any suggestions/backup as to what is wrong with me?
thanks for reading ladies xx

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 23-Jul-11 08:16:38

I would change GP practice to start with, that lot seem hopeless (some GPs are with regards to any gynae type problem). I guess you have not had your thyroid levels checked out properly - this should be done as a matter of course.

(My periods have always been problematic and my progesterone levels were always low as confirmed by blood tests. In my case PCOS was the cause).

Self medicating with AC is not recommended as it can make some underlying hormonal problems worse.

Something is causing all this and it is certainly in your interests to find out why. Do not be fobbed off.

I would also be asking for a referral to a gynaecologist re the heaviness of periods as this could be linked to fibroids.

FrameyMcFrame Sat 23-Jul-11 09:07:16

Don't have any answers, just sympathising. I have similar symptoms to you except I get them from ovulation to AF every month. I also have sever pains in my knees which my GP refuses to link to my cycle even though I am pain free from AF til ovulation.
It's frustrating that doctors diagnose depression and don't take you seriously when you have real and tangible symptoms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now