Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Slap me please - smear related

(16 Posts)
SparkyDuchess Fri 22-Jul-11 01:03:50

I'm 40 years old, should be a grown-up.

So tell me why I'm terrified at the thought of going for a smear tomorrow?

It's my first one in 10 years (I know, I know, I've been avoiding it since not long after DS was born). I'm only going tomorrow because my GP collared me when I went to pick up a prescription earlier in the week.

The thought of that moment where the nurse says 'just let my knees relax' is making me feel sick.

It's not like I'm massively anxious about procedures - I have crohn's, every inch of me has been seen by HCP.

This, though, sort of turns me inside out.

Liluri Fri 22-Jul-11 01:08:40

Well done for making the appointment.
You know that it will all be over in a couple of minutes, but I understand your worry as I'm the same.

My appointment is overdue - and this thread has inspired me to make an appt first thing tomorrow, so thanks smile

Maybe you can think of a small treat you can get for yourself as a reward for going along tomorrow?

Good luck x

lubeybooby Fri 22-Jul-11 01:08:49

You will be fine, over and done with very quickly. Deep breaths, you can do it [gentle slap]

SparkyDuchess Fri 22-Jul-11 01:17:50

I can't actually remember how long it takes - my last memory is that it hurt.

Is it very quick?

God, I feel so pathetic! I'm having blood tests done first, 17 of them - not worried about those at all!

I just keep fixating on the smear thing. I know it'll be all done in 12 hours, I know I can't keep putting it off (10 years is ludicrous!)

FFS - I inject myself weekly. I have blood tests without a thought. I need to stop being a big wimp, and get this out the way.

lubeybooby Fri 22-Jul-11 01:23:09

My last one took less than a minute from speculum to done, or seemingly anyway, gone and sorted very quick. Just deep breaths and grit your teeth, the thought is much worse than the actual

mel2005 Fri 22-Jul-11 10:17:21

i felt the same, after having all those people looking at my bits when i was in and out of the hospital with the twins i hated going for the smear but it turned out i did have cancer, i was told the results of my biopsy yesterday, they thankfully think they removed it all but i have to go back to check when i am healed from them removing the lumps i had. i am so glad i went. i have an antoimmune disease as well-hasimotos and the nurse said we are less able to fight off the virus that causes the pre-cancerous/cancerous cells. please go, it didnt hurt me at all and i have a tilted cervix so it took longer, normally it takes a minute to do.

turnitup Fri 22-Jul-11 10:22:29

Oh I feel your pain - im just the same.......but you will be fine.

The part I hate is the 'getting it out' part - there is no pain at all so dont worry about that.

I have a special skirt that I only wear for smears (an old maternity one), its long and strechy so I dont have to take it off and the whole experience is just less embarrassing.

It really on lasts a minute and the feeling of relief after its over is immense!!

ameliagrey Fri 22-Jul-11 16:14:04

turn it up- don't they give you a modesty blanket? So you won't need a skirt?

Whenever I have had any examinations they always give me a disposable sheet to cover all the bits that aren't needed to view!

OP- it will be fine.

Over the last 2 years I was having internal scans for an ovarian cyst ever 4 months, and I always have smears every 2 years anyway- pay for them. so I am really used to people being in there!

You have to remember that tothem itis just another bit of the body- they aren't really fussed.

Just get your kit off and get it done- it's all over in 5 minutes.

turnitup Fri 22-Jul-11 16:22:59

No i've never had a blanket given to me...

didldidi Fri 22-Jul-11 16:26:34

another one putting it off here - nine years for me. How did it go sparkly?

ameliagrey Fri 22-Jul-11 16:53:09

turnitup- you are going to the wrong drs then! smile

Once a nurse rushed in and was horrrifed that i was lying there showing all and urged me to "cover up"!

schilke Fri 22-Jul-11 18:09:53

It will be fine. I had one earlier this year (had put it off for a year) and it really was ok. No discomfort.

SandStorm Fri 22-Jul-11 18:15:56

I don't remember ever having a modesty blanket either. There's just me and the nurse there and she gets an eyeful anyway so what's the point?

Having said that, I'm a really bad smear patient - I tense up and my blood pressure goes right up. I dread going but the nurse is very very understanding and she takes her time - ie, not rushing me. She's lovely and it's always over very quickly. It doesn't hurt - just a bit uncomfortable.

I hate going but not going is just too much of a gamble.

SparkyDuchess Fri 22-Jul-11 23:06:05

Thanks for your posts, it did really help to know I'm not the only one!

I went, and the nurse took one look at me and saw how wound up I was. She was completely lovely when I explained how much it hurt last time, and she used the size of speculum that she'd use on a teenage girl. End result was uncomfortable but really not painful smile

No modesty blanket offered, I've never heard of that? I wore a long vest to cover as much as poss anyway.

Still not fun, but nowhere near as bad as I'd built it up in my mind smile

schilke Sat 23-Jul-11 09:37:39

Glad it was ok. I had a sheet to put over my midriff and top of legs - made me feel less exposed .....if that's possible!

mel2005 Sat 23-Jul-11 22:11:03

i had a sheet as well but i did wear a long top (one of my maternity tops from when i was pregnant with the twins so it was nicely stretched grin ).
i am so glad you went, it must be a relief to have it over and done with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now