Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just found out i had cervical cancer...please if you are due a smear book one NOW

(10 Posts)
mel2005 Thu 21-Jul-11 16:34:32

I had a treatment last week and found out today that what they removed was cancer, they think it has all been removed but i will have to go and see if there is anymore in 6 weeks. i just keep thinking 'what if i had waited longer to book my smear?' i didnt book it when i had the first letter as i needed my husband home to look after the kids, i waited to find a suitable time, i was quite a few months late booking it. gosh, i could have been sat here now looking at mumsnet with it slowly growing inside me. my smears have all been clear before so i wasnt really concerned about it being late.
i have been crying the last hour and i keep thinking OMG i have had cancer!!.

anyway please if you are due a smear, book one asap
i am really sorry if i have upset anyone

sproggaaaaah Thu 21-Jul-11 16:36:06

I'm so sorry you've been through this. Hope your next check up shows they've got it all.

MaryAnnSingleton Thu 21-Jul-11 16:38:53

thanks for that reminder- am so sorry you have been diagnosed with cervical cancer..I am putting mine off as I am really wimpy- I do always go after a few months of psyching myself up,and I will go. I know it's important as i've had breast cancer so really shouldn't be so foolish.
Lots of good wishes to you

BelaLugosiinStripes Thu 21-Jul-11 21:42:08

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Has anyone mentioned Jo's trust which supports women and their families who have cervical abnormalities. There is an online forum which is very supportive here. Fingers crossed for your follow up appointment.

IntotheNittyGritty Thu 21-Jul-11 22:26:33

SOrry to hear what you are going through. I fully understand where you are at. I was diagnosed with a rare and life threatening cancer a short time ago and it is really hard to come to terms with it.

This is now the time to stay positive and enjoy what you have. Dont live in self wallow or regret. You will have lots of follow up smears, which is good, but just be aware of any symptons and react on them.

I also had cervical cancer many years ago, but thankfully it was removed and is completly clear now. Current cancer not related.

I cant emphasise enough about getting checked regularly for everything. If there is a history of your medical records, bloods, tests, etc., then when something is identified they know the timescales when something is developing, ie if everything was clear say two years ago, but a problem shows up now, then they know the progression rate and timescales.

I keep reading on here of people with lots of symptons about anything and everything, and they are being given wrong advice, wrong diagnosis and self treating. A doctor can organise extensive blood tests and organise tests that can diagnose what really is wrong. I would say to everyone, if you have a concern, do something about it now.

My symptons were very similar to so many of those being described on the forums, and the diagnosis being given by helpful MNrs could have been right, but they were so far off the mark. In some cases, if symptons are caught early enough, they can be treated, but if we all rely on diagnosis off the internet/googling, and dont get symptons checked properly, it could be too late.

mel2005 Fri 22-Jul-11 00:24:53

i am wierdly ok about it, obviously its a shock at first but she thinks she got it all, they do need to check in 6 weeks when the wound has healed. i suppose i am still classed as having cancer until i know its all gone, then i can say i had it. i cant really get my head around it yet.
i do have four really young children so i have been worrying about the results, not for me but for them. it could have been ALOT worse, so i do feel relieved in a way its not worse.
my post was really to urge women like me who had an overdue smear to book it, just incase. its such a small percentage of women who get it but you need to catch it early.

mel2005 Fri 22-Jul-11 00:44:10

thank you bela, jo's trust look a great site to get info

Madlizzy Fri 22-Jul-11 01:12:39

i'm absolutely agree with you not to delay a smear. I've had treatment for precancerous cells. If i'd not had a smear, they would have grown.

Shutupanddrive Sat 23-Jul-11 10:20:17

Thank you Op, I will book one this week. Was supposed to go before Xmas, haven't got around to it. Have had a biopsy in the past to check unusual cells, so really must go. Hope you are on the mend now

theglove Sat 23-Jul-11 22:30:33

Thank you for your timely reminder, it was a very convincing post.
Best of luck to you and I hope everything goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now