Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Bell's Pallsy - please help me find adult resources

(7 Posts)
cityangel Tue 19-Jul-11 20:25:50

A lovely family friend who is about to get married has been struck down a second time with this during what should always be an exciting time planning her wedding. She has to take a week off work, the right side of her face stopped her from talking, eating and drinking. Her eye would not close at all (she had to tape it shut at night and wear an eye mask otherwise it stayed open).

A recommendation for vit B12 has really helped her, please can anyone on here recommend options that worked for them as an adult, support groups...

All help would be greatly appreciated as I remember my wedding planning was stressful enough without this and whilst I don't know her very well her mum has been wonderful to my family...

cityangel Tue 19-Jul-11 20:29:01

She also has PCOS

cityangel Tue 19-Jul-11 21:12:18

bump

millmoo Tue 19-Jul-11 21:57:36

I got bells palsy two days after giving birth 7 years ago...I then got it again about 3 years later when i was going through a very stressful period - the 2nd time i got it i went to the doctors and he prescribed me a short strong course of steriods -they worked really really well - i know your thread asks for support groups but i just thought the hint on steriods may help

Milliways Tue 19-Jul-11 22:03:55

www.bellspalsy.org.uk/main.htm Bells Palsy Org Forums may help?

My DS had this when her was 4 (had to tape his eye shut too!) Has your friend been prescribed steroids?

DBennett Wed 20-Jul-11 09:46:07

Hope the both of you have seen the NHS website.

Has information and links to patients groups.

deepbreath Wed 20-Jul-11 11:46:06

I used the website that Milliways linked to above. I have had Bell's Palsy 3 times on the same side of my face.

One thing, I can't stress enough just how important it is to use lacrilube eye drops/artificial tears if your friend can't blink. I was only given steroids at first, and my eye dried out on the affected side and I ended up with a small (but sore) corneal scratch. Very gentle facial massage after the steroids have started working seemed to help my face to recover faster.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: