Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hair Loss - 3 months after pregnancy

(10 Posts)
LadyCarCar Tue 19-Jul-11 19:04:31

Well, firstly - this is my first post here! Have strayed from another forum and we'l see how things go here!

So im told approx 3 months after birth you lose hair. And oh man am i losing hair. Its coming out in lumps, clumps, its all over the carpet, the shower, the sink, my clothes, my son manages to get it wrapped round his hands...

Its alarming how much is coming out. The doc even reffered me for a blood test to see if im anemic.

Just wondering, has anyone else lost A LOT of hair - is this kind of normal?

Thanks

x

RainySmallHands Tue 19-Jul-11 19:20:52

DD is nearly 6 months and my hair loss stopped several weeks ago. Although it seemed to last for an age, it was probably only between 12-16 weeks post-partum. Freaked me out though. I was getting a few (barely noticeable) baldy bits at the sides, then it just suddenly stopped.

Weird thing is, I never had it with DD1, only DD2.

moodymary Tue 19-Jul-11 19:31:01

With my first baby I lost a lot of hair - handfuls - mainly around my hairline at the front. In my opinion it was very noticeable although my family and friends disagreed (just being kind?!). Fortunately I have quite thick curly hair so it wasn't too drastic. It started a month or so after I stopped breastfeeding and it was several months before it started to grow back. I was very worried that it wouldn't - but it did.
My second child is 7 months old. Although I had some hair loss with him, it was not nearly as much and has started to re-grow already. I definitely worried less about it this time as I was fairly sure it would re-grow!

Popbiscuit Tue 19-Jul-11 19:41:12

This happened after all three of my pregnancies (at exactly three months). After the third it never really went back to the way it was before. Around this time I decided to become a (well-balanced, vitamin-taking vegetarian) and didn't eat any meat for a year...my hairloss during this time was about the worst it has ever been so I started eating meat again and almost overnight I stopped noticing hair on my pillow, hair in the shower/ sink etc. Of course this could be entirely coincidental but I do know that low iron can result in hairloss.

chipstick10 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:20:44

i wish mine was due to pregnancy,sad, your will grow back.

bubaboy2002 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:27:15

had the same thing on both my boys although it happened when i stopped breast feeding. Lost ALOT of hair around hair line and on sides (at worst it looked a bit like one of those undercut hair do's from the 90's!) It did grow back though. This also happened to my mum and both my sisters after pregnancy. You're wise to check with your doc though, having babies can sometimes mess up the old chemicals of the bod!

Popbiscuit Tue 19-Jul-11 21:37:02

Sorry Chipstick. I can imagine how it must feel to have unexplained hairloss or loss of hair for other reasons. Hope that you are well x Hugs x

Metalhead Tue 19-Jul-11 21:48:51

Yep, I'd say that sounds normal! My postnatal hair loss started around 3 months as well and went on for about 2-3 months. Thought I would end up completely bald the amount of hair I lost in the shower, when brushing hair etc., but I didn't. DC is now 13 months and my hair is back to how it was before the birth.

sprinkles77 Tue 19-Jul-11 22:01:38

my hair still seems to be coming out 16 months on! But for the 6 months or so it has also been growing back and I have lots of ridiculous wispy baby hairs at the front. It actually looks a bit like when accidentally burnt part of my fringe off lighting a fag from the gas stove years ago!

chipstick10 Tue 19-Jul-11 23:18:38

Thanks popbiscuit. I know it wont grow back just hope it doesnt get any worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now