Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Best thing to do when a migraine strikes?

(38 Posts)
TheOriginalFAB Tue 19-Jul-11 17:16:57

I have been in denial but after todays migraine I accept I do have them and need tips for dealing with them as I felt so ill and was worried about driving and felt I was going to faint in the school playground.

TIA.

Riveninside Tue 19-Jul-11 17:18:21

pint of water and painkillers.

NarcissaMalfoy Tue 19-Jul-11 17:20:32

As above and a lie down in a dark room.

TheSnickeringFox Tue 19-Jul-11 17:22:29

Soluble aspirin dissolved in lemonade or coke, taken at first sign.

If no coke/lemonade, follow soluble aspirin with hot, sweet coffee.

Invest in a migracap to keep in the freezer.

Consider talking to gp about getting a triptan (proper migraine medication!)

Keep a migraine diary to get a handle on triggers. Avoid big swings in blood sugar levels.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 19-Jul-11 17:29:14

I had just had a nap and assumed the head ache was from sleeping in the day but it was soon clear that it wasn't. Unfortunately all I could do was drink the water I always have in the car as I had to collect the children.

I suspect I have an issue with blood sugar levels but actually today I have had a proper breakfast and lunch.

I am on amitryptaline.

TheSnickeringFox Tue 19-Jul-11 17:30:28

Just seen on another thread that you are feeling really tired. I think a trip to the gp is definitely in order. Do you have a migraine diagnosis or is it just a guess?

TheSnickeringFox Tue 19-Jul-11 17:32:02

Ah, x-post. Amitryptaline totally wiped me out.

SybilBeddows Tue 19-Jul-11 17:32:18

feverfew really helped me. I used to eat the leaves, now I have capsules or tincture of feverfew in a bottle.

DaisySteiner Tue 19-Jul-11 17:36:37

Ice packs help me.

33kns Tue 19-Jul-11 17:38:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JoinTheDots Tue 19-Jul-11 17:44:52

x2 paracetamol
x2 ibuprofen
1 large glass water

if you can, lay down in dark room with icepack on forehead.

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Tue 19-Jul-11 17:44:54

Lots of water, painkillers (co-codamol or my proper migraine meds - can't remember name now!) and a sweet strong coffee.
Tiger balm on my temples helps too.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 19-Jul-11 17:49:18

It is a diagnosis and I am seeing the GP on Monday as DH thinks I have sleep apnea and the tiredness is too much now.

iklboo Tue 19-Jul-11 18:08:55

I find a hot water bottle helps me rather than ice. Migralieve or cocodamol. I can't eat or drink anything other than sips of water.

RoadArt Tue 19-Jul-11 19:27:33

if it has been going on for a few days, talk to your doctor and get a checkup. Better than self diagnosing

therugratref Tue 19-Jul-11 19:30:45

A double espresso if I can get in early enough, Otherwise Syndol or if that does not shift it sumatriptan (which you can buy OTC but its very pricey)

DeWe Tue 19-Jul-11 19:35:57

My triggers are: thirst, hunger, tiredness bright flickering light (driving with bright sunlight through leaves is bad) or a constant bright light from the side. sleeping extra heavily, stress, sudden shock (particularly being woken by it) thunder storms, hair needing washing or hormones!
If I recognise one of the triggers is beginning a migraine then I take 2 ibroprofin asap, and stop the trigger if possible. If that doesn't clear then disolvable paracetamol/co-codamol x1 unless I've got a full attack on in which case x2, but I can't do that unless dh is home because I go totally dopey for nearly 12 hours.
Preferably lie down in a darkenned room for as long as possible as well.

BelleCurve Tue 19-Jul-11 19:39:10

Imigran if you have a diagnosis. Works like nothing else. You can buy it over the counter (and worth it if you really suffer) but prescription works out much cheaper.

YoungMotherTubby Tue 19-Jul-11 19:48:45

Stemitil (sp?) to prevent the stomach rejecting any painkillers - dissolved in the gum area.
Then Rizatriptan wafer which melts on the tongue but is a totally disgusting minty flavour.
These help the migraine part and you'll need painkillers on top of this. Boots sell Imigran over the counter - but I think you need to have had in on prescription previously (but you need to take these immediately)

So once you've taken the meds lie down in a cold dark room - with a freezing cold wet tea towel over your head.

Generally though if you're not prone to migraines they don't just start - so could be something else - eg cluster headache, tension headache.

Many triggers for migraine so keep a diary which includes your sleeping pattern, stress levels, menstrual cycle and food and drink. At times one of these 'triggers' is fine on its own but if combined with another could start the migraine

Could write a book about migraines- suffered for decades!!- and have had morphine injections for the pain (and didn't even need those for labour!!)

There are a couple of UK orgs for migraine and they have good websites - from memory.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 19-Jul-11 19:50:32

I can't really just start taking more meds as I am on a lot already, but thank you. It has been a while that I have had them but I don't have them that often but when I get them they bloody hurt.

zanz1bar Tue 19-Jul-11 21:01:26

Co-codamol, go to bed, draw curtains and wrap a cold wet flannel over my eyes, let dc go feral until another responsible adult can be found. Give up till next morning.
Interesting mentions of hot strong coffee, explains my espresso cravings.

TheSnickeringFox Tue 19-Jul-11 21:04:09

If ice works for you I really can't recommend the migracap enough then. It's an ice pack that you wear. It also covers eyes for complete black out.

Migraines are miserable sad

CurlyhairedAssassin Tue 19-Jul-11 21:13:49

I never had migraines till after I'd kids. Mine seem to have a hormonal connection. I get nausea with mine and nothing really gets rid of them apart from a sleep for a couple of hours in a darkened room as well as ibuprofen and a glass of water. I am interested to read this thread as obviously a lie down isn't always an option!

TheOriginalFAB Tue 19-Jul-11 21:25:33

My pain started in my head and it felt like something was in there and was going to explode. The pain then went to my neck and then I just had a huge wave of nausea. I am just so tired. I am counting the days until I see the GP.

emmanumber3 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:32:01

All I can manage is an ice pack on my forehead, sips of water (which may or may not make me sick) and a lie down in a dark-as-possible room. If I can stomach them/swallow them I also take the maximum dose of the strongest painkiller I can get. However, most of the time I have to cope without due to the sickness sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now