Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Low blood pressure - what can I do?

(7 Posts)
Hippee Tue 19-Jul-11 14:26:06

I tend to have low blood pressure - just took it on my mum's monitor and it was 112 over 57, which I guess is low, but not abnormally so. However, have been very stressed with a situation at DS's school and have been periodically feeling quite faint and dizzy. I imagine that when the stress calms down, I will feel better, but is there anything else I can do to stop myself feeling wobbly?

Elibean Tue 19-Jul-11 18:34:45

Drink plenty of water, especially when stressed - my sister passes out with low blood pressure, if she doesn't stay hydrated!

Apart from that, just be glad its low and not high - much healthier longterm, although DO tell medical team if you ever need an operation: helps them to handle anaesthesia appropriately.

SparkleRainbow Tue 19-Jul-11 19:04:06

In some parts of Europe they consider low pressure to be as serious as high blood pressure. Medically the only think they can give you is betablockers which aren't the best. You need to not gert over heated, sit if you feel dizzy, you are more likely to suffer from postural hypotension. Eat regularly, for some reason small meals more regularly can help. You should go to the gps and just get a check over too.

(I have low blood pressure too normally about 100/50, sometimes up to 110/55)

Hippee Tue 19-Jul-11 19:20:43

Thanks Elibean and Sparkle. I know that I'm bad at drinking enough, so I'll take more care. Also, the stress has been making my stomach churn, so I've not been eating regularly either. Hopefully taking your advice will perk me up. I should feel better once the term has ended and the pressure is off.

SparkleRainbow Wed 20-Jul-11 16:54:51

I hope so, I am longing for the end og term too.

SparkleRainbow Wed 20-Jul-11 16:55:02

of term blush

Cattleprod Wed 20-Jul-11 17:00:50

Eat and drink regularly. If you feel like you're starting to get dizzy or faint, clench your buttocks a few times and do strong, deep breathing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now